Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Virtue


Do you know..."Doraemon?" This is a VERY famous Japanese animation which has been popular for 35 years(It is amazing!) Doraemon has been broadcasting in many Asian countries and South American countries even though I don't know the "title" (maybe it isn't "Doraemon"...)in those countries.
Doraemon (In the picture, the middle one of the front row)is a name of a robot who came from the 22nd century. He came to this world to make one boy's life better. The boy's name is "Nobita." "Nobi" means stretching or relaxed in Japanese. Nobita, who is an elementary school boy in Tokyo, is kind, but he is always lazy. He doesn't do homework, hesitates to do sports... If he keeps his laziness in the future, he can't be a good adult! So, Doraemon came to the world to help & support him using many future inventions. That is an outline of this story.

Sometimes Nobiita relies on Doraemon too much. He believes Doraemon will make his dream come true. (But, life is not so easy! This animation is also an allegorical, educational one) His dream? That is...getting married to Shizuka, who is the right girl in the picture! One day, Doraemon got mad about Nobita's dependent attitude. Doraemon threatened Nobita,
"You know, the future could change easily! If you make no effort, Shizuka could get married to another guy! Let's see what is going on in the future!"
...So, they went to the day before their wedding day using the "time machine." The time machine can take people to anytime in the past, or future...this brought Doraemon to the 21st century from the 22nd Century.

Doraemon and Nobita peeked at Shizuka's parent's house when she and her father were talking the night before the wedding. Suddenly, she said...
" I am gonna quit this marrige to Nobita! I will stay with you, Dad! "
Doraemon and Nobita were really surprised! But she said it not because she disliked Nobita, but because she missed her parents.
Then, her father said... Actually, I LOVE his words!!!!!
"Shizuka, I think your decision of getting married to Nobita is right. He is a wonderful person who can congratulate people on their happiness, and sympathize with people's unhappiness from the bottom of his heart. I think this is the most important virtue of a person. "
... Doraemon and Nobita were moved by his words completely. After that, Nobita decided to be a good guy for Shizuka and her trustworthy father. Actually, it was the first time for him to be complemented... Oh, but isn't it in the FUTURE!? Are you really OK about getting married to him, Shizuka!? I am just kidding ☆

Anyway, I saw this episode when I was little. But nowadays, sometimes I recall Shizuka's father's words. When we were elementary school students, our lives were not so different, compared to our friends' lives. However, as we get older, our lives become different more and more. Then... sometimes I feel some people envy people's happiness, and delight in people's unhappiness even though they are friends.
This is really...unbeliebable.
I met many friends in Japan on the recent trip. This time, I realized how I can distinguish between people whom I want to socialize with and people whom I don't want to. (Oh, don't forget, people whom I met this time were the former!! )
"The most important virtue of a person is to be able to congratulate people on their happiness, and sympanize with people's unhappiness from the bottom of the one's heart. " The words of Shizuka's father shows exact my policy.

Everyone has "his own way." Also, the definition of "happiness" is different depending on the person. A person should pursue his happiness, and go his own way. We can do it at each other's pace, and we can just support our friends' ways on "their roads to happiness." We don't have to envy successful people because we should just walk our own ways.
If I am surrounded by people who agree with my opinion, I AM VERY HAPPY!!!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I found your blog! I hope it's okay if I keep reading it. Your perspective on the US is very interesting to me since I'm living in Japan. I'm also so glad you explained this cartoon. I see it on tv here but don't speak Japanese, so now I get it! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

こんにちは。初めてコメントさせてもらうね。しずかちゃんのパパの言葉、恵子の文を見て思い出したよ。そうだね、子供の時はそれがどんなに大切なことかわからなかった。

私もいい大人なのに人の幸せを祝福してあげられなかったり、うらやんだりすること、たくさんある。
けど、共に喜び、共に悲しみ、ができる大人になりたい。成長には失敗や傷つきが必要だ、と私の主治医が言ってくれました。
そんな訳で、私も共感です(^^)。

keiko said...

Hi, Stephanie!

Sorry for my delay in replying!
Of course you can keep reading my blog! I am glad you found this site☆ I am happy if I can help you with explnaining Japanese culture or something. Do you enjoy your Japanese life? Do you have Japanese friends around there?

I'm glad now you know about Doraemon! I love this cartoon, but you know, in the U.S, the reason why they don't broadcast the "Doraemon" is they don't like Nobita's dependent character!
I understand that, but in my opinion, this cartoon also tells us "You have to do it yourself!" because Nobita always has bad luck when he relies on Doraemmon too much. It's funny!

keiko said...

おおー、智美! ありがとう! 札幌ではお世話になりました☆

誰にも、人をうらやんだりする気持ちってあるよね! が、いつも人のことが気になる人って、常に誰かのことをウワサしたがる。。なんでそんなに人のこと気になるんだろ? 自分は自分の道をいけばいいのに!周りの人のことはただ応援してればいいし、合わない人のことは気にしなきゃいいじゃん、と思って書いたところ。

成長には失敗や傷つきが必要か! いい先生だね! 確かに、苦労してる人ほど人の気持ちがよくわかる。 智美も、私にとってはそんな尊敬する人の一人だよ!

・・が、せっかくのしずかちゃんのお父さんのフォローにもかかわらず、「やっぱり出来杉くんの方がいいよねー。」と思ってしまう私。 お父さんの言葉、結局わかってない!?

Anonymous said...

Keiko san,

When I was in Indiana, I found a draemon doll at yard sale. The seller told me that she got it from her friend in Chile! Of course I bought it for my daughter.

The doll brought me a lot of memories of draemon and asked my mother to record the program. But they have changed not only the voice actors but also the theme running under the stories. You know what I mean? I like the old draemon which I used to watch every week!!!!

keiko said...

Junko chan,
I remember "your" (maybe,Erika's...)Draemon who is from Chile! I also watched the "new" Draemon when I visited Japan. The actors' voices have changed, but the theme has changed as well? I didn't notice it!

keiko said...

Hey, Liz!
Do you like Doraemon and Nobita?
I think AMERICA should import this animated cartoon!!