Monday, January 10, 2011

Passion & Concentration

Today was my birthday.
I wrote my resolutions of this year already, but I'd like to note my "theme" of this year here.
That is...passion & concentration.

When I attended the Toastmaster's Christmas Gala last year, a former president Masako said, "I attended my relative's international wedding reception party. They had a bilingual emcee.
But she was...not good. Her English was not good, but most importantly, I noticed she didn't have passion for her job, and the couple. I felt how important an emcee is for a wedding! The wedding was not a fiasco, but not fantastic at all because of the emcee!"

At that time, I had a big wedding job as a bilingual emcee a few days later.
Listening to her talk, I determined,"I might not be a very experienced emcee, but at least I have to have passion for the job and the couple!"

On the last Christmas Eve and Christmas day, I was locked myself at home to prepare for the international wedding reception.
Then, I watched the Japanese Figure Skating Championship on TV.
I was so impressed by some performances. I noticed...when a skater was satisfied his/her performance and judges gave him/her a very high score, the skater looked so together.
S/he seemed very concentrated the performance. For example, Takahiko Kozuka's short program performance, and stunningly, Miki Ando looked having no other thoughts during her both performances.

When I watched those performances, I felt just breathtaking, and even sensed the time had stopped because of their...concentration.
Then, I noticed how important concentration was for performances.
My stage is not as big as the top skaters, but the importance of concentration is the same.
I engraved the words, "passion & concentration!" in my mind when I went to the wedding job.
Then...I did a good performance.

Two days ago, I went to a bilingual emcee's party that my teacher Ryoko Sumitomo designed.
The participants were so passionate even they have already great careers!
I want to be like them. I need to be like them. Also, I should try to meet the people whom I want to be like them.

Last year, I became "the year girl" on my birthday.
Can I become the "it girl" this year? I mean, by my career & English and so on...not my appearance, unfortunately... "Year girl"×3 and "it girl" are so different!!

1 comment:

Junko Yamauchi, LMFT said...

Happy birthday, Keiko san!
To me, you have been a "it girl" already. Fully concentration on my clients is my goal too because my mind sometimes drift like what's for dinner?? during the session...