Sunday, April 29, 2007

St.Patrick's Day


Dèsolè! (Sorry, in French) St.Patrick's Day is over one month ago... But I hope you enjoy this article and all pictures!!

Do you know what day March 17th is? If you live in the U.S.or IRELAND, you can never forget! If you live in Japan, it is no wonder if you don't know. The day is...St. Patrick's Day! St. Patrick was a patron saint of Ireland in 5 A.D. Traditionally, it is a Christian feast day for celebrating the saint's death. But it has become a modern secular holiday to celebrate Ireland wearing something green which is a color of Ireland's flag!!
In the U.S., there have been many immigrants from Ireland. Since 1766 (Such a long time ago!!), New York City has admitted the immigrants to have the St. Patrick's Day parade. Since then...not only the Irish, but also many people have celebrated the day nationwide! It could be worldwide...because I remember I saw their parade at Omotesandou in Tokyo four years ago!!

My hubby and I went to Chicago that day to see the parade and the event of dyeing the Chicago River!! It is famous for being dyed green. We arrived at the riverside ten minutes before the event, but it was already full of many people!
At 10:45, a few jet boats appeared, and released green dye!! It was sooooo fascinating!!! I took lots of pictures!!! I've heard the green dye was made from vegetables to minimize environmental damage. But I am not sure if it is true! The green is very bright green! It looks artificial,doesn't it? Anyway, the color would keep for a week.

After the event, we took a rest at a cafe until the parade began. However, this day, the ordinary people also were wearing green!!! Look! the lady in the third picture dyed her hair green!! It made sense... Originally, it was said, "If you do not wear green color that day, you will be pinched!" I WAS wearing a green blouse and green cardigan. But it was so cold (it was snowing!!) in Chicago, so I wore a white coat over green clothes. However, we could buy any green goods there, like green accessories or sweaters! There were several booths selling green goods. They were so popular!!

From noon, the parade began. Also, it was SO crowded that I couldn't see the parade exactly. I just strecthed my arm higher to get some pictures. I think the pictures were great taken despite my not seeing well!! There were many kids, marching bands, cheer leaders participating in the parade. Even candidates for the mayor of Chicago!? (I'm not exactly sure, but I suppose so) I see, it is a good opportunity to campaigh something!!

While I was watching the parade, I envied the Irish. In many countries, many people were celebrating Ireland wearing the country's color, green!! Also, Saint Patrick should be such a great guy! His name has been well known all over the world!!
However, after I came home, I heard Saint Patrick is not Irish. He was from England! When he was 16 years old, he was taken to Ireland by a group of Irish raiders who were attacking his father's estate! Feeling lonely and afraid, he decided to spread Christianity in that country. ....Oh, my goddness!! St. Patrick's Day is the biggest day in Ireland, but he was a FOREIGHER like me!? I'm not ambitious enough to dream of having " Keiko's Day" celebrated in the U.S... But it is worth learning his persistence and perseverance!!

On the next (2008) St. Patrick's Day, I'm not sure I will be in the U.S. or Japan. But I am sure I will be wearing something green that day!!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour,Keiko-san! Thank you for your kind comment and advice. I'm very pleased to see it, however, sorry for replying late. Now I'M pregnant, but last month I suffered bad morning sickness.

I get over it and resume studying English.Having said that, starting my blog will take more time.

keiko said...

Salut,Yuko chan!
Sorry, I have also taken a long time to reply to you!!
You are pregnant!?CONGRATULATIONS!!
This is great news! You, your husband, and your families must be glad!!
Take your time about starting your blog! It might be stressful sometimes!? As you know from my blog;)when you are busy, you just can't republish, but you may be concerned about that!!
It is also great to write your "baby journal" after you deliver a baby! In English, in Japanese, whatever, but my mother kept writing it after I was born.
It was interesting( and somewhat embarrassing) for me to read it!
Take care of yourself, and have a great summer!!