Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Interview Principles and Practices


The reason why I couldn't republish this blog during May is ( I am always making this kind of excuse,,.) I took a summer class at Purdue.
As you know, most American college students study hard. Some of them take double major, and a minor. For exmaple, one of my friends majors are management and finance, and his minor is Chinese. Therefore, most American universities ( I suppose) have classes during summer seasons!! Because of student's convenience( I suppose,) some classes have various schedules.

I took "Interview Principles and Practices" class as an auditor. This is one of the communication major classes. I took this class from the middle of May to the middle of June because I will go to Europe in July!! This class is a regular class, so usually, it meets twice a week.
However, in summer , because of the compressed schedule... we had the class every morning!!
It was hard to read the THICK textbook & do the workbook everyday! Look at the picture to see these textbooks I used!!

I was a wedding emcee, so I often did casual interviews with guests. Also, I enjoy watching some interview TV shows. I always wonder how I can be a successful interviewer, so I was interested in this class. But in this class, the teacher didn't teach about such casual interviews!!
It made sense, this is a university class!! She taught everything about "job interviews."

The professor was Mrs.Pamela. She has many experiences as a teacher, an interviewer, and interviewee.
What I was interested in most was using legal quetions. Being different in the U.S, some common questions in Japan are apparently illegal. First, applicants "shouldn't" attach their photos on their regimes. Second, recruiters shouldn't ask about the applicant's age, nationality, marriage status, religion, political preference, hadicaps, etc, etc..because interviewees are protected by private laws ( many laws) which prohibit discrimination against age, sex, nationality, religion, etc, etc!!
Some "unlawful" questions are very vague.
For eamples,
1. Where were you born? → could be nationality discrimination!!
2. How often do you drink alcoholic beverages? → could be discrimination against alcoholic!!
3. When do you plan to retire? → could be age disctimination!!
4. Do you live in China Town? → could be nationality discrimination, again!!
5. Is that an engagement ring? → could be marriage status discrimination!!
6. What organizations are you active in? → could be political preference or religious discrimination!!

Wow!! If I were an interviewer here, I should be really careful... What if I were an interviewee, and asked such an unlawful question?
What if I were single, and asked " Do you have a boyfriend?" Should I say, "Oh, that's an illegal question!! I will sue you!!"??
Mrs. Pamela said it would not be wise because I wanted to enter the company!!
She said, "You should try to figure out what the interviewer really wants to know. In that case, the interviewer may want to know if you can transfer to another branch or not, or you can get into the job or not. You might say, " I am ready to do this job. I have been working hard to be qualified for this job. If I have to transfer to another city, I think I will understand." Then, you don't have to answer whether you REALLY have a boyfriend or not."
OK! Probably I will not be asked a "boyfriend" question because apparently I am married...but, this solution is helpful to me!!

By the way, a summer course is really hard to finish!! In this class,students have four writing assignments, four interview roleplay assignments, and two tests. I was an auditor, so I just listened to every class & every student's roleplay. But what if I had to pass this class?
I think the students studied really hard!!
A summer course is hard for not only students, but also instructors.
Mrs Pamela is a working mother who has two children. She said, just after this class finished, she would fly to Washington D.C to accompany her high school student daughter who would perform there as a chorus singer of a scholl activity.
I said, " If I can help you, please let me know!" to her. Then? Actually, she asked me A LOT!!
Whenever we did interview assignments, we divided into two rooms because we had many students. She introduced me" My PERSONAL SPECIAL assistant, Keiko!" to the students, and asked me to supervise one room when they did roleplay assighments, record every interview, time those, give them back their final exams, collect their survey numbers, etc etc...
I knew nothing about her job, so I just did what I was told... but some students thought I was a REAL assistant, so asked me some difficult questions like, "How does she evaluate our assignments?" " How do we count this evaluation?" etc, etc...
I couldn't answer them, but they still wondered about me, "She may be a NOBODY, but could be a SOMEBODY who was asked to do a special evaluation from Mrs. Pamela??" If they had asked me, I would have said," Oh, I am just an auditor!!" But nobody asked me, so I just kept my secret.

Anyway, taking a summer course was a wonderful experience for me! The most impressive thing was ....You Tube!
You Tube is a visual Web-site that you can find any videos on even TV shows you watched yesterday!!
Maybe almost all American students know this site, but I didn't know it!! Mrs. Pamela used this site a lot to show us good interview examples.
Since then, I have enjoyed many MUSIC CLIPS at You Tube!! What? What did I do in this class?? Fogive me, early morning class(It was from 8:30 am) is so hard for me, so I was often daydreaming during the class!!
Thank God I was an auditor...

No comments: