Monday, September 20, 2010

Afterthought of Wedding Throw

...Long time no see, friends!
I started to work an wedding emcee again from this month, and I had some offers as a bilingual emcee...a lot of things for me to do!! Time has just flied...

Yesterday, I did wedding emceeing at a big wedding hall in Yokohama.
It had been two years since I did it last time!
But I wasn't nervous at all. I get used to emceeing at Toastmasters, so I knew I was going to be OK. Yes, I was good...but, not more than just "good."

After the wedding, the feedback from me was exact the same thing I felt just after the big Toastmasters' anniversary party.
I got to move party plans smoothly, I didn't make any big mistakes at all, my announce skills were OK...not bad. BUT, also, not perfect!

The bride was the type who worried about every detail.
She and I contacted by e-mails & text messages often, I called her sometimes.
I was getting feel like she was my original friend. I heard about her guests a lot, so I thought I could perform very smooth emceeing.

However...why did I stammer sometimes?
I know it sometimes happen to Japanese emcees, (When I speak in English, I hardly ever stammer...why???) but...I don't want to do!

I tried to be a professional after the job. I tried to give me reasonable feedback. I mean, not only bad points, but also I thought of good things what I did.

What I was good at;
-I cared about throwing a smooth party, not only about emcee job.
I talked with guests a lot, and I found some problems & I told them to the manager.
So, we could stop the problem-to-be just before it became the big deal.
-The couple didn't hire a professional photographer, so I tried to take photos a lot.
When some guests went close to the couple, I spoke to them, "shall I take a photo with the bride and groom?" I think they would appreciate it.
-The floor manager took looong time to explain something to the newlywed, it would have had awkward pauses many times if I hadn't have many resources about the couple. However, I had enough information about them, so emceeing was very smooth.

What I was not good at...were incurred by what I felt I was good.
-I was sure I was good at memorizing a script. So, I didn't confirm the script during the party, and explored around the party venue to make sure every guest is OK.
It might be thoughtful, but it's not my original job. I didn't go blank while I was emceeing, but why I stammered sometimes was because I was not be very very careful.
-The same thing! I said some things mistakenly. I noticed soon & corrected everything soon.
Just there were many things to say & to do at the party, so I just...made some small mistakes.
-Sorry to say... I don't like to have many congratulatory telegrams!! They are supposed to be very nice, but opening them & putting them away again to original envelops is emcee's job.
The couple last night got 25 telegrams. Every telegram has an original number, so I should put them on the original places.It was so confusing & I took a lot of time!!

Yesterday, I noticed.
"What I was good at" were what I have made by trying to experience presentations, speeches, or emceeing for a long time.
"What I was not good at" will be clear if I work hard & if I experience the job more.

So, I made a notebook.
That was called "Emcee Afterthought (feedback, I might have to say...) Notebook."
I took a note, mostly, what I was not satisfied by my performance.
Also, now I'm listening to my emceeing last night.
I started this custom since I joined the Toastmasters.
Emceeing evaluation should be very objective, so I need to listen to how I performed.

My "progress" might be those efforts.
Before I went to America, I didn't want to listen to my emceeing after the party...just I didn't want to listen to my voice. Neither taking a note, I...just didn't.

PR, making a rapport among clients, concentration, flexibility, experience, feedback, self-improvement...
There are any aspects I feel I need as a professional. However, as long as I get job offers, I'm grateful I can challenge those.
...Will I get enough job offers?? That's a good questions!!

No comments: