Thursday, September 23, 2010

First offer as a bilingual emcee

A few weeks ago, I got the first formal offer as a bilingual emcee.
It was an international wedding ceremony & reception, between a Japanese girl and an American guy. The wedding place is a big, traditional hotel in Shinjuko.
Yes, my first job as a bilingual emcee...CORRECTION: a TRANSLATOR emcee.

I'm wondering, why are international couples so easygoing?
Most Japanese couples order their wedding emcees AT LEAST a few MONTHS ago.
But when it comes to international couples, they start to think about their emcees a few WEEKS ago!
Another correction: It was not my first offer. I got another offer, but I had a Japanese wedding job already! The offer came just a few weeks ago from the actual wedding day!

The couple, who's going to tie the knot in Shinjuku, have their wedding on October 11.
They tried to find a bilingual emcee, but all of them were booked the day. They hired a Japanese emcee. After that, the event planning company which has a connection with the hotel (co complicated!) heard about me from the president of my emcee office. So, the couple happened to hire me as a "translator" because they have already had a Japanese wedding emcee!

...Do you understand? The route how I got this job offer was so complicated.
When I heard about that, I answered, "OK, I do." But once I told about this offer to my bilingual emcee teacher, my role model, Ryoko, I felt so blue.
Because even she said, "It is much harder than a regular bilingual emcee job. Having two emcees at the same party!? It's not good at all to everybody! Just too much for the audience, complicated for the staff, so awkward for the two emcees, and double-cost for the couple. You should decline the offer, if you can!"
But I couldn't. I said, "Yes" already!

In addition to, we don't have much time. Their wedding day is October 11, but our meeting (the couple & the emcees) is October 3.
Look at this! You can see international couples' easy-goingness again... Just one week!
We, emcees, need to set up the meeting with newlyweds about one months before.
But in case of an international couple(I don't think all of them are so...) one week!!
I asked the president (of my emcee office) to ask the event planning office about the Japanese emcee's phone number & e-mail address.
Yes, it's complicated, but the Japanese emcee belongs to another emcee office, so we need to ask how to contact her to the event planning office, but the event planning office may not know the emcee office, so the planning office might be asking the hotel wedding office....
Well, I'll stop talking about the details.

Anyway, what I want to say is, I don't have necessary information.
I just know their wedding day, the groom's first name & nationality (American,) and the bride's family name and the nationality(Japanese.)
But I should manage under these circumstances.

Recently, I'm writing the script for their ceremony (Intimate style! 人前式)& reception.
But we haven't had a meeting yet, so, my scripts are based on another international couple.
I can memorize the script & perform emceeing under scripts, but on actual wedding sites, things are not so easy.

My catch is "translation" thing... I've never done it as a professional.
Therefore, I'm practicing that.
From the scripts I was given at the bilingual emcee lectures, or some videos from YouTube, I translate wedding speeches from Japanese to English, and English to Japanese.

I'm nervous, but somewhat, I'm excited.
I finally can work on international wedding occasion!!
Also, I realized I'm lucky I can ask for help to other "professionals."
My bilingual emcee teacher, Ryoko, is very supportive. She always replied to my questions with very, very detailed answers. (Even though I took her class just one day! She is so nice!!)
My American tutor, Sally, will give me lessons to check my scripts.
My American co-worker, Seth, was excited to hear I got the first job offer, and pleased to have a "rehearsal" of my meeting with the couple, pretending a groom.

As long as I prepare enough & work hard for the job, I will be all right.
I'm not experienced, so, each job occasion is very precious for me. I need to learn a lot on the sites, with professionalism, flexibilities, and concentration.
...The most importantly, I must enjoy them!

By the way, I got another "first" job offer as a "corporate" bilingual emcee.
That was an awarding ceremony of electronic companies. Most judges were from America.
The place was Makuhari Messe, and many media crews were supposed to come. That sounded a very big event!!
...But I couldn't get the offer. It was on Thursday! The day I should go to school to teach!!
I forgot, most corporate events are held on weekdays.
Anyway, just work on for the following wedding job!!

2 comments:

miki said...

数週間前のオファーなんて!
文化の違いなのでしょうか?^^;
おもしろいですね!(ってkeikoさんは大変ですね><)

でも、夢が叶う瞬間☆
どうか楽しんでお仕事してきて下さい♪
I'm very happy for you!!!

keiko said...

mikiちゃん、

ありがとう☆
ミキちゃん、最新ブログ見たよ!
ほぼ満点じゃん! すごいね!!

ミキちゃんもよくご存じのとおり、海外の方はのんびりだからね(--〆)
日本ではウェディングにMCが必要、ってこともあまり認識ないから、直前になって、これならプロに頼まなきゃだめじゃん!?ってなるのではないかなー。

ブライダルに限らず、ホームページを見て会議の前日に海外から通訳の依頼、とかも、時々あるみたい(あ、会議の場所は日本だけど)。
なんて適当な。。だけど、引き受けちゃったらこっちとしては適当にできないから、現場でのフレキシブルさと、フレキシブルに能力を発揮できるように、日ごろのスキル研さんが大事だった言われてる。。
自信もってできるまで、道は遠いわー
(;一_一)