Friday, October 29, 2010

Lack of beauty = lack of career?

A month ago, I took a class about corporate bilingual emceeing, from Ryoko Sumitomo.
It was a one-day, eight-hour lecture. But...coincidentally, I was the only student at the class.
So, I asked her some personal questions.
"I don't think my English pronunciation is beautiful... Would you advise me how to improve it?"
She listened to my English announcement, gave me a feedback, and that was...mind-blowing to me!

"...Keiko, you're losing your breath!"
"...What do you mean?"
"I guess, that's because of your crooked teeth. Your breath goes out from those teeth, so you sound very breathy sometimes. Also, you might have a problem with your teeth engagement. You should visit an orthodontist when you have time."

...Well, well, well... I thought I needed to pay my EFFORT to be a good bilingual emcee.
But, is she saying, I need to pay an ORTHODONTIST to have my crooked teeth straightened!??? I was saying that to myself.
Ryoko might have gotten what I was thinking, so she said.
"...However, I know we can't get the perfect teeth arrangement magically over a night...
But you know, you got the first step because now you NOTICE it's about your teeth!
The (instant) solution is, to open your mouth wider than you did before, and try to speak slowly & clearly. Let's hope it will solve most of your problems."

I practiced for several minutes.
Listening to my English announcement, Ryoko said, "Your pronunciation was improved!! You could correct it immediately, I think your English pronunciation will be much much better if you care for your teeth arrangement. But, remember, it's an instant solution.
If you want to be a first-class bilingual emcee, you should go to an aesthetic dental clinic!"

...Well, I noticed about my teeth problem, but I didn't realize my lack of beauty might connect to my lack of future career!!
When I lived in the U.S, some of my friends got braces on their teeth even though they were mothers. I thought my teeth arrangement was not so bad (it's true!!) so I didn't have to...
Also, one of those friends got a severe disease. She was diagnosed as having a "chronic fatigue syndrome." It has not been cleared, but she said, after she got braces, the symptom started.

I don't want to lack of my health, so I won't get braces...
I'm fine with ending up to be,"a second-class bilingual emcee!!"
...Do I have a problem?

No comments: