Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Dragon's wings, Angel's wings

On Halloween day this year, I was in Yoyogi Uehara, where many international residents live.
Looking outside foreign kids were parading for "trick-or-treating," I was taking a bilingual emcee workshop provided by Ryoko Sumitomo, with another two girls.
The day's theme was "summarizing translation."
Bilingual emcee sometimes don't need to do an interpreter job at all, or sometimes we are required to do full-translation...
But when it comes to "summarizing translation," we used this skill for international wedding occasions, mostly.

After the intense workshop was over, we chatted with our teacher, Ryoko, then...I found my eyes welling up with tears.
Why? Because I just felt...grateful, maybe.
At that time, I was talking about my anxiety for entering hotel wedding business, which seema having many red tape for me. One of the great things of Ryoko's workshop is we can tell what we feel nervous about our job. She makes that, "speak out, clear the clouds in your mind up NOW, gals!" kind of atmosphere.

I am always not good at talking what the CLOUDS in my mind (I mean, anxiety) are...
But, Ryoko always understands what I'm trying to say, exposes how vulnerable even she was before, and gives me great tips for getting rid of my "anxiety-clouds."
Her tips are not only for overcoming current situation, but also for building guts to keep working.

Anyway, what she said on Halloween day left something precious in my mind, instead of anxiety clouds. They are "dragon's wings & angel's wings."

Ryoko said, "Keiko, you are so kind that you're worried about those issues. Your kindness is your virtue! You don't have to try to change yourself. But, remember, sometimes, in business scenes, you need to show your MALE side of yourself. You certainly have it because EVERYONE has both sides. When you are emceeing, take out your ANGEL'S WINGS (female side,) perform gracefully, then attract people. But when you are negotiating your performance fee, or when you need to speak out something important for you, take out your DRAGON'S WINGS and be brave!"

Since then, her words have been echoing in my mind repeatedly.
Dragon's wings...Angel's wings...I CERTAINLY have both of them because EVERYONE HAS the both...
Basically, I am a feminine girl, and I know the advantages and disadvantages of being me, a feminine person.
However, Ryoko's "you also have dragon's wings!" magic, work out for me.
I really want to make a good use of both wings!!

On Halloween night, looking at kids' with costumes, I wore "wings" in my mind.
Angel's wings. and certainly...dragon's wings.

No comments: