Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Scenes behind

As I teach many kids, I have become to distinguish (of course I don't discriminate though,) very smart kids.

One tendency of those kids is...they ask me a lot of questions.
Arisa, a third grader girl, is one of those distinguished kids.
A few years ago, she often asked me "how do you say (something) in English?"
But recently, her questions got to an upper stage.

When I said," OK, so, what you want to be in the future is patisserie(baker), right?"
She wondered, "Probably... but the word patisserie is French, so shouldn't I make it to a feminine form? Isn't it patisserier??"

Another time, I said, "OK, let's play a baseball game!"
She wondered again, "Wait! The word, GAME has two meanings, one is: board game or computer game. The other is: sport activity to compete. How can you let English-speaking people get you're talking about which?"

A few days before, she talked to me during the class.
"Keiko sensei, you often encourage us! You hardly ever scold us. Is that your school's policy?"

Then, just after the class, I gave stickers to Arisa and other kids, instead of taking attendance, as usual.
She asked ma again, " Who invented this sticker attendance? Staff at this branch, or your company people? Is this just for this branch, or nation-wide thing?"

She is only 9 years old, but she doesn't just see everything just as the way it is, like me when I was 9 years old.
She tries to see even "the scenes behind."
Sometimes I happened to meet these kids like Arisa. Whenever I meet them, I feel, "I'm sure the kid will become SOMEBODY! I would like to develop her/his gift more!!"

After the class, when we became alone with Arisa, she asked me again.
"...So, your eyelashes got mascara, fake lashes, or extension?"
...You don't have to know MY SCENE behind, kid! I wanted to say...

Another day, when we just welcomed our new British teacher, Scott, I tried to have my kid students make conversations with him.
I worked hard to encourage kids to talk to him like,
"Did you say hello to Scott? He will be teaching you!"
I also tried to give Scott pieces of information about those kids.
"Scott, this girl, Rui, is 8 years old, and she is so brilliant that she got a full score of a kid English test provided by the United Nation! Rui! Have you introduced yourself to Scott??"

Then, Rui, another smart kid who wants to know the scenes behind, said...,
"Oh, I see! Do you like him, don't you?"(好きなの?)
...There is NO SCENES BEHIND sometimes, even the smart kids should know it!!!!

No comments: