Tuesday, February 22, 2011

glee

Although a popular high school musical TV drama, glee 2, has been aired for 5 episodes in America, I only could watch the first two episodes as the Japanese FOX's preview, last Sunday.

I love this show not only because the actors' performances are outstanding, but also it shows American society's hierarchy.
In the glee club, most members are minorities. Blacks, Asians, Latinos, single-parent kids, physically challenged, and...gays. They are facing the situations of being bulled, but they don't stop expressing themselves. In the club, there are some members who are supposed to be the top of the hierarchy in a high school, like football players and cheer leaders. There was a conflict between them first, but they became understanding each other, practicing performances.
I really like their ways of mixing the traditional hierarchy.

Also, adults around the high school kids are so attractive in the show.
One of my favorites is Burt, Kurl's father. Kurl(a boy) is gay. Burt (a single parent) is an old-fashioned American guy, who loves football, but he tries to understand who his son is.
It's very nice the way he loves his son the way as he really is.

Here is my most favorite scene from a episode of glee 1.
In this episode, Burt starts to see Finn's mother, Carole, also a single parent.
Burt invites Carole and Finn to his house to live together. Finn and Kurl ended up to live in a same room. Kurl(a gay) was excited to live with Finn( a quarterback star player) because Finn is also a glee club's member. However, as a star foodball player Finn, it seemed humiliating to live with "a gay." After Kurl decorated their room up, Finn just yelled at Kurl, saying, "everything is faggy in this room!"
...Burt heard what Finn said, and here is what Burt told Finn.

Burt;Did you say faggy? Is it OK to say my son FAGGY!?
Finn;..No, sir, I didn't mean so...
Burt; I know what you meant! You think I didn't use that word when I was in your age?
I did! When some kids were caught in practice, I told them, "Shake it off, stop being such a fudge!" We meant exactly the way you meant it, "being a gay is wrong. It's some kind of punishable offense."
...I thought you were different, Finn.
I thought you've been a glee club, and being raised by your mom...
You're some new generation dude who thought this differently. You came in the world, knowing, what is taking on me years of struggling to figure it out.
I guess I was wrong.
I'm sorry, but you can't stay here. I love your mom, and maybe this is causing me hurt.
But my family comes first.
I can't hide the poison around. This is my home. He is my son.
I don't know what you want, but not under my roof.

If I'm in his shoes, I don't think I can say those words on the spot!
Finn is his girlfriend's son, and they just started to live together.
However, Burt protects his son, Kurl. Also, his words are honest and sound thoughtful even to Finn. Burt is the man of men!
So, Burt and Carole broke up because of this happening!?
...I don't know yet, but I'm thrilled to know what is going on between two of them, while everybody cares for young couples' updates.

See you on the FOX!!

No comments: