Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"Sex and the City" class

English school I work for has "counseling weeks" a few times a year.
In those weeks, we don't have regular classes, but we have irregular classes to figure out what kinds of classes will be popular among students.
Beside customary TOEIC preparation classes, the irregular class I had was...
"Sex and the City" class!! ...Correction...it was named "movie and drama without captions" class, but I picked one episode from the season 5 of this monster TV show.
Because everyone (especially girls) likes the show once they start to watch, and I thought language learners could enjoy the main character, Carrie's sense of humor in English.
Also, we could learn American culture through the TV show.
I dictated the whole lines from the episode (it took two hours and a half!) and explained them to my students.

For example, I made come comments about blue parts, cause if they will not guess the exact meaning unless they know only the literall meaning

Carrie, Narration(N); Meanwhile, Miranda is back at the office. She was politically incorrectly, happy to be there.
Carrie, N; Meanwhile, Charlotte was working on her perfect plus one. Justin Anderson the Third.
Carrie; Oh’ that’s great. You have a wildly successful career and a relationship. I was worried we.., you know, women only get one or the other...But you have it all!


Also, I interpreted some jokes an punning, like red parts.

Carrie, N; When your career is better than ever, it’s hard not to get a big head.
Carrie, N; Miranda and Walker had shared one night of great sex BC-before child.
Carrie, N; She invited him to be her plus one at the book party since she knew she’d be conveniently minus one(she meant Miranda's baby).
Carrie; Justin was just in time. Because Charlotte was finally ready for a new relationship.

The class actually worked well. Everybody in the class seemed enjoy.
I would like to continue the class at the time o f the next counselling week!
There was a 82 year old decent lady in the class...was it really OK to teach her the "Sex and the City class!??
...I guess it's fine! She has a very young spirit, and she said she enjoyed the class!!

No comments: