Saturday, April 18, 2009

How to be a BOSS among...

I will throw a speech at the next Toastmasters meeting.
That will be my first speech at the Japanese Toastmasters meeting!
Here is a script.
I will "act out," so this script looks weird, though...
Oh, red words are what my kid students said & what they did!


Good evening, fellow Toastmasters (and guests.) My name is Keiko, and I teach English at an English conversation school. My students are from 1 year old to 80 years old. It is very interesting for me to teach students in every generation. However, one specific generation has caused me headache. Can you guess? It is 4-5 year old group. They are old enough to rebel against me, and too young to respect me as a teacher. Today, I would like to talk about how I became their boss.

First, let me introduce you to my students. This isToshi. Say hello to everyone! “Hello!” (I will bring two dolls as my students...Hahaha!) This is Taka. Say hello, Taka! “Bye!” …Yes, he is a contrary kid. There were only two naughty boys in my 4-5 year old kid class. One year ago, when I started to teach them, the situation was like this. Dear Toastmasters, please imagine inside this area is my classroom. The entrance is here, and here is the window. Let me begin.

①Hello, Taka! Hello, Toshi! I’m your new teacher, Keiko. How are you?
You ugly pig!
What!? You shouldn’t say that! …OK! Let’s go to the classroom! Yeah!
Yeah!(lock the door) Wait! Don’t lock the door! Let me in!
Hehehehe!
②…OK! Look outside! How’s the weather today? Is it rainy? NO! It’s…
(open the window)
Stop! Don’t open the window! Don’t go outside!
Hehehehe!!
③…OK. What’s this what’s this what’s this what’s what’s? Lettuce! One, two? It’s poop!
What!? Where did you learn that word? No!
Hehehehe! Poop! poop! poop!
④…OK. A letter, a letter, I can make a letter, with my arms, with my legs, I can make a letter. L! (look at kids)…L!
Ahhhhh!(start to scream)
What!? Stop screaming!
Ahhhhhh! Ahhhhhh!!! (start to run away)
Come back! Come back to the class!!

…Well, the class was not a class. That was a zoo. They were like monsters to me. I had no idea why they acted like that. However, my co-workers helped me, and I have made strategies. Now, the class has changed like this.

①Hello, Taka! Hello, Toshi! How are you?
You ugly pig!
You are the cutest, Taka and Toshi. I know I’m cute too.
Hehehehe!!( start to run, lock the door)
OK! It happens! Hey boys, look at this! (show a paper balloon)
Look! She’s got a new toy! (open the door) Give it to me!
Later!
②Look outside! How’s weather today? Is it rainy? No! It’s…
(open the window)
Stop! Look! Taka, here are your smileys.(take out magnets) Toshi, here are yours. If you do such a bad thing, your smileys are gone.
No! I need smileys!
OK, so close the window.
…OK!
③What’s this what’s this what’s this what’s what’s? Lettuce! One, two?
It’s poop!
Hum. Let’s do bowling!
Yeah! Bowling!
Wait! Before I give you a ball, what’s this?
…Lettuce.
Good!!
④A letter, a letter, I can make a letter, with my arms, with my legs, I can make a letter. L!
Ahhhhh!(start to scream)
No! You will lose your voice!
What?

I f you hurt your throat, you can not eat your favorite food. I don’t want you to hurt.
…OK.

What I learned from them is they are not monsters. They are little adults. They want to have attentions, they want to be loved, and they want to be praised, like us. If they understand I love them and I am trying to entertain them, they would follow me. Now, Taka and Toshi are very good students. But, the new semester begins. New naughty kids entered my school, and now I am repeating the same thing in another classes. However, whoever comes to my class, I am the one who will say,
“Hey kids, I am YOUR BOSS!” ...Ms. Toastmaster.


No comments: