Friday, May 14, 2010

Book-hunting, Dress-hunting

On June 5, the Toastmasters Club I belong holds 10th anniversary party at Midtown, Roppongi.
http://keyforce.org/
If you're interested in...please join us!

The KeyForce Toastmasters holds big biannual parties. But this time, it would be huge & different. We have more guests, and the venue is a gorgeous party space for (usually) exclusive use of Roppongi Hills' residents.

I was assigned as a MC of the party.
Lately, I've been busy with preparation for the party...
We've decided to welcome a popular translator of a recent best-seller book, "the Secret"(The Japanese title is "引き寄せの法則,") Miyoko Sano,http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/thesecret/
as a keynote speaker.
Yes, she translated a VERY famous book... Many of my club members said they've already read the book( I introduced two blogs of the members,) but I didn't know about the book!
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/lucida_of_blog/e/14a40ef049ecc703315179d90792850f
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/mahlersymphony8
I should introduce her as an emcee at the party! I need to read it & get to know her!

I wanted to get the original English book and the one she translated. I should go to a big bookstore which has English books, I didn't have time to go there.
So, I opened the Web-site which I hadn't visited for a long time.
Amazon.com!!
When I lived in America, I often visited there. English textbooks of college classes were very expensive, so I bought some used ones from this site.
However, since I came back to Japan, I hadn't used the site because I didn't know...they have TONS of foreign books!!

I clicked to order "used-but-good-condition" books I wanted. I saved my time to stop by a big bookstore & ask a clerk where the books are, and also saved money for getting used ones.
Hey hey, it's amazing!! I just "believed" Amazon.com came in handy only in America to buy Western books...but many Japanese people bought English books abroad, and sell them on line!!

The books will be delivered tomorrow or so.
My first preparation of a party emcee has been done, and I set about the next preparation.
A DRESS!!! Which dress shall I wear at the party???

I intended to wear my used Anna Sui's orange dress. To get a new one for just one party didn't sound reasonable. ...However, a few days ago, one of my closest friends invited me to her wedding!
WEDDING!! I had been a "wedding emcee" even at my friends' wedding receptions, so I used to wear a suit. It's been a long time since I was "a guest" of a wedding! What does a guest wear at a wedding reception?? But, I had some ideas.

My favorite American designer, Betsey Johnson's dress would be gorgeous enough for any parties!
If I can wear it at least for two parties...why don't I get it?
I was looking for the dresses in Guam. But they didn't have an original shop there (Last year, when I visited Maui, they have a shop in a fashion mall, so I could get the one!)
They just have "a few" in a select shop, so I went to the shop in Japan, at Omotesando Hills.

Many of the dresses were very attractive to me.
I wondered & wondered, changed & changed dresses...after almost one hour later!? I chose a sugar pink one.

I ordered the books of the keynote speaker. I got a dress. Thus, am I SO ready for the party??
NO!!! I haven't prepared for my most important job, "talking!!" My job is not dressing up!!
I have to write the script & practice!!!
Even speaking of the books & dress... Can I read two books (English one & Japanese one) until June 5?? I am such a slow reader that I always read one month ago's weekly (English)newspaper
!!(cause I can't catch up with the latest one!!)
About the dress, I can't gain even one pound of my weight!! ALso, do I have a chance to wear it after my friend's wedding?? Can I fit the dress?? I don't know about the future!!
Just enjoy the moment. That's what I do, always...

No comments: