Friday, September 01, 2006

Global Fest


This coming Saturday (September 2nd) is the Global Fest day in West Lafayette. Purdue University, which is located in West Lafayette, has a lot of international students. The Global Fest is the day when international inhabitants introduce their original countries' culture! Recently, some Japanese volunteers have shown Origami works in this Festa.
This year, I will go on a trip at the day because we have three-day-holidays in a row..sorry!! However, when I was a volunteer of the Festa two years ago, I met many interesting people. I will share some stories of them:

1. One middle-aged lady, I remember she said she was from Brazil..probably.., brought her own "Origami" book which was written in Portuguese and her original "Origami" works! These were roses, baskets..really advanced pieces! She encouraged us to TRY to make the same one, but we just couldn't.
2. An American boy, who was 10 years old, was also VERY good at making Origami works. I showed him how to make a hydrangea, and a lily. But he made them faster and better than me. Few minutes after, he became like a Japanese volunteer, and explained how to make these to everybody. Actually, we called him a "chief!" He had been a part of Japanese section for awhile.
3. One handsame boy, who looked in his early 20's, gazed what we were doing first. After I talked to him, he started to fold Origami quietly. A few minutes later, he made a "treasure ship!!" This was also an advanced piece. I CAN'T MAKE IT!!
He said his father showed him how to make Origami works when he was a child.
I don't remember exactly, but maybe he was from Lebanon. He said he was a freshman at Purdue. "Do you enjoy your college life?" When I asked him, he replied with faint smiling, "Yes, because we don't have to fight or kill each other to survive here." Oh, thank God, we can celebrate different cultures here... I thought.

I was supposed to "teach" Japanese traditional culture to evrybody, but at that time, I "was taught" how Origami culture had spread all over the world by guests.
This year, I can't go to the "Global Fest" itself, so I made some Origami works (Look at the picture!) by myself to give the guests of the Festa.
If you live in the Greater Lafayette (Lafayette and West Lafayette,) and if you are available, I recommend you to go to the Global Fest! It will be held at the Morton Culture Center from 10:00am- 9:00pm. You may find some interesting cultures, or revise your own country's culture!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am working my tail off to Global Fest right now.
Oh, it's Global Fest, not Grobal, Keiko!

Since I'm not good at origami, I'm gonna demo on
"Japanese calligraphy" at the origami table.

Enjoy your holiday!

keiko said...

Thank you, Zunko! I corrected every spelling just now! Haha!
You have been a volunteer of this Fest(I also corrected this spelling )every year! You are very supprtive!
Enjoy the Festa..no, Fest!

Anonymous said...

Yuko Muneta reminded me of your English blog today! I am so sorry for having forgotten this plog at all! hahahaha
I have been so busy taking care of my mother, and it hass been hectic...

Well, your blog is soooooo nice and you have a talent for writing! This blog has inspired me to write my blog in English and I wrote it in Englsih in six months!! hahahaha

To comment on today's blog, I am so surprised to hear that Ryoko san has brought together almost 40 volunteers for Origami booth. She is a new boss, isn't she? hahaha

I wished I could help you and the booth!!


We should give our thanks to Takeko san, who started (maybe) Origami demo by herself a few years ago.

keiko said...

Makiko, it's OK if you have forgotten about my blog! Hahaha, I know you have been VERY busy. Thank you for sharing your time to my blog♪ 
YOU ARE a devoted volunteer of the Global Fest! You have made "the trail" after Takeko-san! Ryoko-san also made a "wide" trail of this. I just appreciate it☆

keiko said...

Liz, I should have told you about this Fest! Remember, the first Saturday of September is the Global Fest day in West Lafayette!!