Monday, September 11, 2006

JSA


Last Friday's night, I went to the "callout" of JSA.
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~japanst
JSA is an abbreviation for the Japanese Student Association. The president of JSA is my friend, so I went there to become a member of this organization. JSA welcomes people, not only Japanese students but also any Japanese and those who are interested in Japan or its culture. Therefore, I brought my Taiwanene friend who is fluent in Japanese, and studied at Yokohama National University (横浜国立大学).

When we arrived at the classroom, we were... AMAZED!! The classroom was huge, but there were many people... and, their visual aids were big & clear! Sooo good!! The photo seems not to be so crowded, but after I took this photo, many people came to the room. Finally, the room became FULL!! Later, I heard over 150 people came there to become members. I was VERY impressed because the officers (the Japanese students) did a good job! Japanese community is not very big in this town. However, they gathered so many people! Not only Japanese but also Americans and many international people!

What is the JSA doing? We can become a member of JSA by paying $5 per year. If you become a member, you can get discounts from 12 restaurants and shops in this town: for example, Nakama, Joo Joo, Asia Oriental Market, and China Garden... Also, they hold a tea ceremony event, Japanese flower arrangement event, "Taste of Japan," Japanese movie night event, and so on. I suppose it was not so easy to get many shops to cooperate. I know how hard to be an international student here, so they are supposed to be busy working on their majors... but they are also working hard to introduce Japanese culture in the U.S, and identify their home country!!

Whenever I meet the president of JSA, I am always impressed by his ambition and enthusiasm. He is always eager to improve himself: as a student, as a Japanese, as a cosmopolitan, and as a businessperson... My Taiwanese friend, who was with me that night, is also such a person. She just came here, but she is taking MANY English classes, a Spanish class, and a Japanese class.. to get a job in the U.S. I believe my friends' influence on me is very important. When I meet friends who are always stepping forward, I feel like... I want to improve myself more like her/him!
This feeling always pushes me, and I LOVE to feel it.

No comments: