Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Japonais!


Last Tuesday, when I slipped into the "Beginning French" class, I sat next to a congenial girl, Haidi. Because my seat was at the edge of the desk( we share a long rectanglular desk,) I didn't have enough space to put my note. Haidi made a space for me and said, "Keiko, どうぞ。(please)"
...??? Did she speak Japanese? I must have misheard that...I thought.
"Thank you." I replied in English, and continued to take a note. Then, she spoke to me again. "フランス語は難しいですね.( French is difficult, isn't it?)" !!!!????
"Can you speak Japanese!?"  
"はい、名古屋に5年ほど住んでいましたので。(Yes, I lived in Nagoya for almost five years.)
Wow! She is very...fluent in JAPANESE!!(In French, Japonais)

After the class, we enjoyed a conversation in JAPANESE. Haidi said she graduated from Nanzan University (南山大学.) Nanzan University is famous for having many international students. Purdue University is one of the "sister schools" of Nanzan University. After graduating high school,she went to junior college in Japan. Then, she transferred to Nanzan University.
Wow! I bet she will improve her French soon because she already knows how to master a foreign language!! Amazing!!

By the way, our French homework of this week is memorizing the conjugation of verbs. MEMORIZING FRENCH CONJUGATION OF VERBS!!!? Seriously?
It was second class, and our class WAS supposed to be for beginners...
However, our teacher Maud, and my classmates are so enthusiastic that we have been making MUCH progress!! I haven't done my homework yet...
I hope I will not be a "dropout" of this class...
Please DON'T ABANDON ME!!!

This picture is the International Center. The beginning French class has been being held here!!

No comments: