Sunday, April 11, 2010

Anniversary Emceeing

I went to an area (English) speech contest of the Toastmasters.
The winner and the runner-up were Japanese ladies. They made humorous speeches, looked very confident, moved smoothly on the podium, used a lot of gestures, and had a strong & colorful voice and firm eye contact with the audience.

I envy them because they were very capable of what I can't do.
1. Making effective pauses
If the speaker pauses too long, the audience wonders s/he forgets the speech.
If the pause is too short, the speech flows too smooth to make it unforgettable.
I mean, pauses give audience "rests" of their brains, so audience can refresh their memory.
If there is no pause during the speech, the speech would not be effective.

2. Speaking with emotions, talking to the audience from bottoms of their hearts
If I care my pronunciation or grammar too much, I can't put my emotions on my words.
I just "speak" somehow, that's it.
But...I want to contain my message into my speech, and deliver it impressively to audience.
To be able to do so, I need a lot of practice...

I was chosen as an emcee at our club's 10 year anniversary, in June.
The venue is Roppongi, the audience will be from 60-100.
Since I'm not very sure I'm fine at the beginning of June because I will undergo surgery again at the end of May... I asked Atsuko, who is another member, to be my "partner."
Both of us will be "double" emcee, or at the worst case, Atsuko will be a single emcee if I can't join the party.

I hope I'm all right at the party, and be able to do great emceeing.
The reason why I've joined the Toastmaster is to practice & prepare for the time when I come back emcee job, so hopefully...I can manage my time to practice the anniversary emcee.
Now I'm SO sleepy that I don't know what I'm writing!
See ya!!

No comments: