Friday, April 23, 2010

Marriage & Liberty

Still, I've been impressed by how liberal relationship between Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir was.
They never got married, but kept their relationship, experiencing another "incidental" loves.
They worked on some social activities together, and supported each other greatly.

This is a quotation from Beauvoir's essay. She wrote about the relationship with Sartre.
"Both of us don't want to be bound. Therefore, we never think about getting married.
Marriage is against our philosophy. We are against the current social systems because they don't allow us to stay liberal. So, it's natural for us to stay singles."

Even though they were like a husband and a wife, they never got married.
They were born almost one hundred years ago. Even in France, the world must have been more conservative than now...but, they never agreed with the marriage.

If I say, "Hey, I want to be independent. Why don't we NOT married? We can keep our relationship, we can live together, but, not as a husband and a wife. Let's be free from now on!"
to my hubby...what will happen??

As my hubby and myself, rather traditional people, we might prefer "restriction" to "freedom."
We are not supposed to have "incidental loves" like Sartre and Beauvoir. We have a "restriction," but which is fine! We enjoy a kind of restriction. In other words, ordinal Japanese like us, feel tiring to search another relationship in the busy days!
Also, "agreeing the current social systems" is much easier than "against" them.
Because we are married, we can take some priorities and convenience, such as taxes.

Additionally, even we hope the freedom, our family (my parents and in-law's) might be against it. Our families are so close because we are married.
But if we're not...I miss the half of my family.

I'm such a typical conservative Japanese, but in France, the thinking way like Sartre and Beauvoir is very popular.
In France, 45% of parents are unmarried. Comparing, just 2% in Japan.
Even though so-called the "social systems" are different between France and Japan, I 'm impressed with French people.
"Being against the social system" must need energy!
Gosh, French people are SO interesting to me!!

No comments: