Saturday, April 10, 2010

Complements & Confidence

I wrote about Arisa, who is 10-year-old my private student, at the "Word Magic" article.
Last week, she stunned me showing her "original Word Magic book" with her creative drawings.
Then, this week, she surprised me again. She studied 8 units of the self-study material, "Word Magic!"

8 units for one week...even adults can't do that!
Although she started to work out the material one month ago, she almost finish the material! (Most kids study it for half year.)

Arisa is a VERY quiet girl.
I've been teaching her for two years. In the first year, she was one of the students in a group lesson class. Because she was too quiet, I was always worried if she didn't enjoy the class.
Therefore, I was surprised when she said she would take my private lesson.

Even after the private lesson started, she had hardly ever smiled to me.
But, lately, she was getting friendlier little by little. In other words, she started to open her mind to me, finally. (It took two years! But some people take a loooong time to get closed...)

I've tried to ask her personal questions to get to know her and tried to talk about my personal matters to open myself to her.
I've said many complements to her, and I didn't have to "try" that because she is such a quick learner.
Last week, I was moved to see her original "Word Magic" book, so I told this to her.
"Arisa, this is amazing! I'm very glad about what you did! How can you manage your time to make the book? I know you're very busy with going cram school... You are so SPECIAL, Arisa, and I LIKE you a lot!"

The last sentence, "You are so special, and I like you a lot!" is a kind of magic sentence to kids to motivate them.
I knew that, but I didn't imagine Arisa, the coolest girl I've ever seen, was motivated so much!

I'm very very glad for her...and, it doesn't mean "I'm glad because I can sell another self-study material to her mother!"
I'm helping her, it's a good thing, I'm saying to myself...

No comments: