Monday, April 05, 2010

Globalization in a classroom

Sometimes I feel the world has been globalized rapidly.
Today, I feel that in my English kid class!

The class is for middle graders (the third & fourth graders) of elementary school.
The students are three cute girls.
One of today's key sentences was "What is your favorite color?"
To make it varied, I asked them, "What is your favorite TV program?"
I thought they would answer some comedy shows, animated cartoons or J-pop musical shows.
However, here is the conversation between me and the kids.

Keiko "What is your favorite TV program, Nana?"
Nana "Ah... A Korean drama."
Keiko"A KOREAN drama!? What's the title?"
Nene "Utsukusiki Nibi (Beautiful days.)"
Keiko "OK... Maiko, what's your favorite TV program?"
Maiko "News."
Keiko "NEWS program!? You mean...domestic? or international??"
Maiko "International. My dad always watches CNN."
Keiko "I see... Akane, what's your favorite TV program?"
Akane "Latino drama."
Keiko "LATINO!??? Which country??"
Akane "I guess... Mexico. They sound like speaking English, but it's not English."
Keiko "It's...Spanish. You listen to Spanish on the program!"

When I was in their age, I could watch some famous American dramas, but I never watched other country's dramas or world news in English.
How the globalization has been going on rapidly...even in my classroom!!

No comments: