Sunday, April 18, 2010

Harmony

From today, I would like to write my blog every...morning.
I always wrote an article before I went to bed. The good thing of it was great to look back the day at the end of the day. The bad things were, one was taking much time, so it delays my sleeping time. The other was that facing a computer just before I went to bed was kept me so awake that sometimes I had hard time to fall asleep. In sum, to make my time effectively in the daytime, I decided to keep this journal in the morning. If I can get up earlier to make time...look back the day before.
I really hope I can!!

Yesterday, after my French class was over, I felt disappointed with me.
I've been studying French for a long time, but I've not improved in French!!
It makes sense, cause I don't study it everyday. I just rush to review the last lesson before the next lesson... I can never improve the language unless I use French DAILY!!
I have some students like...me. For a teacher, it's obvious that the student studies enough or not. I always say to them, "Class is just the place for your presentation of your daily practice. Take at least three times the lesson time for practice. (For example, if the class time is one hour, you need at least three hours to practice.) Then, you finally nail what you learned."
However, I don't live up to what I'm saying, especially when it comes to French!

I was also reminded I used to have the same frustration in 2003-2004.
I have the irritation why my English isn't perfect all the time. But in the first year when I started to live in America, the feeling was very serious.
Since I couldn't express my feelings& opinions in English, also I couldn't understand what people were saying in English, I felt very stressful.
I always blamed myself why I was like a "child" or "the handicapped" who couldn't communicate with well. However, as I studied English, the frustration became less and less.
Yes, I have no other option to conquer the frustration than studying the language("facing it" in other words,) on a daily basis.

After the French class, I watched the video of a French educational TV program by NHK.
Then, I heard very interesting expression.
"Entre deux individus, l'harmonie n'est jamais donnee, elle doit indefiniment se conquerir."
(Sorry, I can't put accent aigu and accent grave by this computer!!)
" Between two individuals, the harmony is never given. It is indefinitely to conquer."
The words are by Simone de Beauvoir, an FAMOUS author & philosopher. Surprisingly to me, her lifetime partner, Jean-Paul Sartre, said to her when they were young.
"Our relationship is "inevitable." However, we should also experience "incidental" loves."
Beauvoir had struggled with unreasonable his belief, but she was not "conquered" by the man.
She kept being who she was, made an effort to have a "harmony" with him, and they made it in their lifetime.

I completely agree with her words. The relationship between my hubby and me may seem effortless, but we know we've tried to make a harmony. No only between partners, but also to get a dream...we always need "to conquer" something, on our...DAILY BASIS!!!

That was what I agreed with her idea. Not Sartre's idea, "we should experience "incidental" loves!" However, whenever I study French, I am stunned by their liberal thinking ways.
Will I change gradually if I study French on my DAILY BASIS??? It may be interesting!??

No comments: