Monday, August 28, 2006

"Astro Boy"


A few day ago, I got a PLEASANT letter from Liz!! (This picture♪) Liz is a 13-year-old (is that right, Liz?) cute girl, the daughter of my friend, Annette. Can you guess which character she wrote about? Yes! The "Tetsuwan(iron-armed) Atom!" The "Tetsuwan Atom" was originally a manga comic started in 1952 by Osamu Tezuka, who is known as the "god of manga." He was a physician, but he wanted to entertain children. Therefore, he quit his job, and became a manga creator. He produced many comics and animations. However, the "Tetsuwan Atom" is one of the most famous of his works!! In the U.S. and other Western countries, the "Tetsuwan Atom" is called the Atsro Boy. One day, I found the DVD series of the Astro Boy. Immediately I was reminded of Liz.

When I visited Annette's house, Liz showed me some Japanese animation DVDs and games, like Inuyasha, Sonic the Hedgehog... She said she loved Japanese animations. She always watches them with English captions, but the captions seem too short. She wanted to understand everything the characters were talking about!
She said, " I want to learn Japanese!!" to me. I tried to translate Japanese characters' speeches, but it was hard for me to be like a simultaneous interpreter...

However, I was glad Liz was interested in Japanese language and culture. I should thank Japanese animation creators! They have been making many works which attract young people all over the world! My Venezuelan friend told me that she really loved Candy Candy and the A Dog of Flanders.(フランダースの犬) My Spanish friend sang to me, the Doraemon( an advanced robot's name) song and the Crayon Shin-chan song. My Chinese friend said, she was addicted to watching the A girl of Flower: Runrun (花の子ルンルン) and the Saint Seiya ( セイントセイヤ. ) Even though many young people do not give much attention toward Japan politically or economically, they may become interested in Japan through fantastic animations!!

I gave the series of the Astro Boy DVD to Liz. She sent me this lovely thank-you card♪ She said she really loved this, and thought she got something authentic! She also said she loved the sense of mystery behind the characters. Thanks, Liz! I'm glad you like it!! Later, she said, " I will study Japanese. I want to go to Japan, and enjoy having conversation with the Japanese someday! I love the culture and people!!" Liz, when this dream comes true, you can stay at MY HOME☆

1 comment:

keiko said...

Liz, yes, I am always your SUPPORTER!! Keep up the good work, you will be SUCCESSFUL!!