Friday, August 18, 2006

How to be a good singer


Every Wednesday, I need much more energy than other days because I have a singing lesson from Mrs. Paine! Nowadays, we have been working on "The Star-Spangled Banner." As you know, it's the American national anthem. I love this melody, so I picked this song. However, it's difficult to sing!
After the lesson, I made an excuse. "Sorry! Today, I'm a little bit tired. That's why I can't make the highest (high B)note." Mrs. Paine said, "If you want to be a VERY good singer, don't put many things in a day. Don't do a stressful thing on a performance day. You should save your energy for your song." I agreed with her."That's true! Singing reflects the singer's energy. By the way, what makes you so energetic?"
My question became a TRIGGER to let her talk about her life.

She has been an "early-riser" since she was a child. Her father, too. They used to wake up at 5:30 am in the morning. They played tennis before he went to work or she went to school. Many people need an eight-hour-sleep, but a six-hour-sleep has been enough for her.
When she was a university student, she had two majors. One was dancing, the other was physical educaton. Physical education was really hard for students because they had to be able to teach many kinds of sports! Basketball, volleyball, tennis... She was a short, skinny girl, so she had a disadvantage for doing team sports. However, she got a Bachelor's Degree in Physical Education & a Master Degree in Dancing!! Additionally, she was taking music classes as her minor!!

After she graduated, she became a musical dancer. After she got married, she gave the birth to two beautiful daughers. But she still taught her exercise class, dancing class, or singing private lessons.... She has been a member of a church choir & a local choir. Also, she taught music to children in a church, sometimes choreographed high school musicals... When I call her, she is almost always away from her home. Why can she do so many things!?Because she is still an "early riser!" She wakes up at 5:30 in the morning without an alarm. Then, she does household things now instead of tennis lessons. That's why she is a fantastic singer! She has sooo much energy to sing!!

While I was amazed at her story, her topic changed to famous American comedians. I don't remember why... She lent me the Bob Hope DVD series and explained about each guest who appeared in his show.

After we said good-bye, I looked at my watch. It said.. 5:50pm. The lesson started at 3:30 pm. I asked myself; Can I become a GOOD singer? Am I energetic enough? I DON'T THINK SO!! I already got tired just LISTENING to my teacher's conversation!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Oohashi-san,

How are you? I'm very glad to receive e-mail from you.

I enjoy your blog and I would like to visit you sooooooon.

Now I live in Ibaraki prefecture with my hasband because he works at nuclear power plant instituion in Tokai village in Ibaraki.

We are going to live here till 2007 or 2008.

How is your life? Two years ago, you said you ware interested in learning sing a song,and wow! I'm very surprised to see that you've continued to take lesson.

I'm looking forwared to see your blog!

Anonymous said...

yuko-chan,

Thank you for your message!
Did I say "I want to take singing lessons" to you? I don't remember!
Hahaha, but yeah, taking singing lessons was one of my resolutions diring the time I stay in the United Stated!
I'm glad you are fine in Ibarabi!
If you will come back to Tokyo in 1-2 years, maybe we can meet there!!