Tuesday, August 15, 2006

"The World Trade Center"


I went to a movie theater (the photo) to watch a controversial movie, "The World Trade Center" with my voice teacher, Mrs. Paine. I take private singing lessons from her once a week. She was a professional dancer & singer. Our lesson is supposed to be 30 minutes, but we often spend our time together for 2 hours or more... Why? She is so energetic that she never stops talking !
She talks to me about not only music topics like the history of music, kinds of musicals( sometimes accompanied by her dancing& singing,) but also current political issues, religious things, American history, and so on. I think I have learned "American culture" from her.

At the last siging lesson, while she was talking about how terrorists were insane, I was thinking to change our topic. (It had been over 2 hours since the lesson began, but her conversation got deeper and deeper.. That's why.) So, I said "Speaking about terrorism, a movie "The World Trade Center" starts today!" Then she said, "Yeah! Why don't we go togother? I will explain what you don't know!"
That was an unexpected reaction.. Anyway, I appreciated her suggesting that! Even though sometimes I'm tired( because I have been listening to her a few hours standing!), I like listening to her. She is a VERY energetic person, so sometimes I feel like she gives me some of her energy.

At the movie theater, Mrs. Paine had been talking about the history of the Middle-East area and some world-wide infamous dictators during the previews. While we were watching the movie, she explained the relationship of NY and her life, and some terminology. It was.. a wonderful movie! The actors did a very good job. I was just wondering why people fight each other, why they did this terrible attack, what victims were thinking before they died... Over 2,700 people died because of the 9/11 attack. It was... just awful. I was crying with Mrs. Paine.

After the movie, we were discussing about the impressions of the movie, walking from the theater to the parking lot. In front of her car, she recollected the government's reaction at that time, and started to talk about ethnic diversity. She mentioned how difficult it was for big countries like the U.S. to fight against terrorism.., and so on.
Forty minutes later, it began raining. Finally, she got into her car. The long lesson was over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear from you again,Liz! I'm sorry I may have erased your e-mail last time..Recently, I've got many "spam" e-mails, so I'm confused sometimes. I visited your Web-site. It's very interestiong! I feel honored You LOVE Japanese animation! Actually, I have a little gift for you. I will give it to Annette. Wait on it!!