Tuesday, August 22, 2006

New Season


Last Wednesday, I had lunch with Xiaowei, Stephanie, and Connie at a Japanese restaurant "Heisei."
Xiaowei is from Beijing, China(In the photo, she is next to me.) Stephanie(the opposite side, the left one) is an Amrican, and my "conversation partner." A conversation partner is a volunteer who have an English conversation regularly with English learners. If you live in Lafayette or West Lafayette, you can apply for this "match-making(caution; not for marriages!)" system at the International Center. info@intlctr.org I have been thankful for this system and Stephanie! It has been one year and a half since she became my conversation partner. We have met once a week at my home, and have enjoyed "girl's talk!" like about accessories, our school lives, movies, etc. She is 18-year-old, nice, kind, decent girl!! Sometimes Xiaowei joined our sessions. Stephanie introduced her friend, Connie (is originally from Hong Kong, also nice, nice girl!!) to Xiaowei as "her" conversation partner.

Stephanie and connie became freshmen of Purdue University from this fall.
Actually, they were taking orientation lectures at Purdue at that time. They showed us the schedule. That was so intense!! Xiaowei graduated from Purdue University (Master degree) this year, and would go to New York.
These facts mean.. everybody have started " new season" in this fall!!

In Japan. "new season" means Spring. In April, "freshmen" start their new terms.
But in the U.S, it's the end of summer.. Right now!
I wish everybody's "new life" is going to be WONDERFUL!! Including...me!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Oohashi-san,

Thank you for your reply.
Two years passed since I saw you last in Ryumeirou Chinese restaurant. nearby Yokogawa,do you remenber?
It seems like Yesterday.

I think conversation partner is a good system, Thost master's club as well. I would like to join the club!

By the way, how often do you come home? Sometimes I go to Tokyo, every other month, so if you come Japan, please let me know your schedule.

Now I've been studying English,too.

I am thinking of starting blog in English soon.

Anonymous said...

Yukochan,
I visit Japan once a year, but I stay at Sapporo or my husband's hometown in Mie mostly.
I'm not sure, but probably..I will go back to Tokyo about one and a half year later. You said you would go back to Tokyo in 1-2years, then we can meet there like when we worked at Yokogawa!!
I recommend you to start your English blog! It's very good way to improve your English!
Good luck♪