Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Toastmasters


The meeting of "the Lafayette Club" is held the 2nd, 4th, and 5th Mondays of every month. I visited the meeting yesterday. "the Lafayette Club" is one of the "Toastmasters" clubs. "Toastmasters" is an organization for people who want to improve their presentation skills. http://www.toastmasters.org/ Two and a half years ago, when I heard about this organization, I was excited to think "This is what I want to do!" However, my English was too poor to join the club at that time. My English hasn't become perfect yet, but I decided it's time to challenge myself!!

The meeting was held in one of the buildings on the Purdue University campus(the photo.) Last week, I visited another meeting which was for advanced members. I was recommended to visit "the Lafayette Club" because there were some "non-native English speakers," like me. I had imagined almost all of the attendees were university students. But in the meeting, half of them were students, and the other half were advanced members who were so-called "the toastmasters." They evaluated each other.

What went on in the meeting? Almost all members made impromptu speeches, and some members made prepared presentations. Evaluaters gave the presenters comments, and each member voted for the best speaker. If you made a presentation which was over "the requested time," you were not qualified to be voted on! Do you think it is a SCARY club? I agree with you!! Can I survive in this club? I don't know! Anyway, I decided to be a formal member.

While I was listening to their speeches, I noticed several things. The most interesting thing was "eye contact." Even though they were making good speeches, "keeping good eye contact" seemed difficult. Many speakers often looked at the president or the chairperson of the meeting. I was impressed by one African-American guy. He did a very good job! His speed, voice volume, stage presence, and the uniqueness of the content were outstanding. However, he always looked upward, not at the audience. This was weird..but later, he said " I am 80% blind." I was sorry for my misunderstanding..

At any rate, "Toastmasters" fascinates me! I was thrilled to be there! I was looking forward to having my presentation skills trained there! Just after the meeting was over at 8:00pm, my husband called me, and said" I'm coming home!" I replied, " OK! But now, I just finished the TOASTMASTERS meeting.." Then he said, "What!? The GHOSTBUSTERS !?" I know he pretended to mishear, I love his sense of humor...



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Keiko,

It is very nice to hear from you again. You have done a very good job in interacting with many friends in English. I think you are the most active one among my friends. I like that!

I will defend my dissertation in September. I hope I will see you in West Lafayette when I visit. Before we see each other, I will come to visit your blog once a while to check if you are doing fine. Keep us posted!!
Best regards,
Chiung-Ya

Anonymous said...

Chiung-Ya,you are so nice! Thank you for your prompt message!  I think YOU are one of the most active & attaractive girl!! I can't wait to see you again!!Please let me know after you decide when you will come to West Lafayette! Good luck for your dissertation♪

Anonymous said...

Keiko san,

Thanks for shearing your English blog.
Your written English also sounds like you!
It's good that you haven't lost your personality
even when you're not using your mother tongue.
Can I post your blog on mine?

Anonymous said...

Zunko san,

Thank you! It's very kind of you to say that! I LOVE your blog too, of course you can post my blog on yours!!

Anonymous said...

Keiko,
I was completely stunned by your excellent blog!! I'm pretty sure that your wish, being international emcee, definitely will be granted someday!! You're going to be more than that!!
Thank you for letting me know this blog!! Keep going!!!

Anonymous said...

TOASTMASTERS~
WOW~~~
You'll gonna be a terrific bilingual wedding emcee!^^

ps. goastbusters...How cute!

Su-eun

Anonymous said...

Hatsuka chan, Thank you!

Do you want to know my secrets?
1.Making a blog is REALLY easy. If you go to this Web-site http://www.blogger.com/start ,you can make "your blog" soon!
2.Sometimes my tutor proofread my writings, so some of them are supposed to be "perfect" English. Hahaha! Anyway, I will upload this blog as possible as I can!

Anonymous said...

Su-eun, you are a very good speaker, so I learned a lot from you! Thank you!
See you tomorrow♪

Anonymous said...

What a unique blog is,Keiko!
It's very interesting and useful for improving my English ability. It takes great courage for me to write here, because my poor English...So maybe I won't write so much, but I'll try to see your blog everyday!

I'm in Rumoi. Today, It was still hot, but I went to Asahikawa for my dance lesson♪

I want to see you trying hard for a lot of things, and I hope your blog lasts for a long time as possible.

Keep in touch!!

Anonymous said...

Ryo-chan,

Thank you for leaving a comment!
You English is not "poor" at all!
I make many mistakes by using English everyday! But I believe the more you mistake,the more you can improve your English.
Don't be shy,just try to USE English everyday!