Sunday, December 20, 2009

Party Masters

Last night was the Toastmasters Christmas Gala night.
We rented an Italian restaurant in Minami Aoyama, welcomed many guests, and had a party. I was asked to be a MC there, but since my physical condition had not been good, another member became the MC.
I was not sure whether I could come or not...but eventually, I was VERY glad to make it!

Whenever I go to the Toastmasters meetings, I'm overwhelmed (in a good meaning) by the members' energy. Most members are well-educated, working " career" mothers, and involved with activities (not only the Toastmasters, but also another NPOs or something.)
Especially, the founder of our Toastmaster club, Meg, who are a Japanese-American (Sansei) business owner, is an especially exquisite person.
She always brings many interesting quests!!

Who did she bring last night? Embassies of the Republic Tajikistan, Managers from a major insurance company, American yoga instructor, American English teacher who appears on NHK, a weather reporter, Presidents of food companies, a fashion designer, and a language education system enterpriser.
If you are interested in mingling with them, come to our party!

I had a GREAT time, but at the same time, I felt how difficult to be a PARTY MASTER like Meg.
My "partner" (It was decided by lottery) was a Canadian marketing manager of a mining company. He looked so arrogant and uneasy to talk!
His field was "iron and titanium." Hey, what do I know about "iron and titanium?"
I could talk to him, "Hi, I LOVE titanium because most high-class watches are made of them!"
...The conversation must have finished twenty seconds!

After I wondered, I talked to him, "So...how was the security in South Africa(because he just said he came back from business trip there)? My friend wants to go there to see the World Cup, but he's worried about the security."
He only shrugged his shoulders, "You know, 50 million people are living there. You won't be killed easily."
"Yeah, sure..." ANYWAY, the conversation between us was over within twenty seconds!!

Of course I talked with him more, but I thought, I could have been more...natural.
I had been to Canada, and I learn French, so we could have talked about these!
Just from his "super-business like" appearance, I just "assumed" I should ask his business matters!

...The way to be a "party master" is still far away...
Maybe the best way is going parties many times.
Or, at the Summer Gala (we have big parties twice a year,) shall I be a MC?
Then, I might not have to have "partner" who are difficult to communicate!


No comments: