Monday, August 18, 2008

My Roots

I had been visiting my hometown, Sapporo in Hokkaido, until yesterday.
I didn't think about that, but it had been almost five years since I visited there "in summer."

While I was living in the U.S, I used to go there on Christmas vacations.
Actually, whenever I visited Sapporo in winter, I thought "How hard to live here! It's(I mean, weather) always snowy, dreary, and too cold!"
However, my hubby and I forgot how wonderful the Hokkaido's summer is!!
We were sick & tired of hot, humid summer in Tokyo. But just after we arrived at Shin-Chitose airport, we were totally refreshed by dry, fresh air in Sapporo!!

Because we were so excited with comfortable weather, fresh seafood & veggies, we became like "tourists."
We visited some traditional sightseeing spots in Sapporo, like Sheep Hill Observatory(羊が丘展望台), Central Wholesale Market(中央卸売市場), and Sapporo Clock Tower(時計台).

In the exhibition of Sapporo Clock Tower ( It was first time for me to enter "inside" of the Clock Tower" On account of "my hometown," I didn't explore famous spots in Sapporo!!), I learned Sapporo has so much relationships with America.
Sapporo Agriculture School, the former Hookaido University, welcomed many American professors and once all of their classes were taught by English!!
Therefore, the students studied almost twice as other college students, as an article said.
I happened to become an English teacher, but I didn't know that people who were in "my roots" were such eager English learners!!

Additionally, I met a few of my old friends. Talking with them also refreshed me.
Sometimes I think if I live in my hometown forever. That would be wonderful because I would have been surrounded my parents, relatives, and old friends.
However, even if I had chosen it, I would have chosen to live apart from my hometown. Why? Because I can get to know how hometown is wonderful since I live apart from it. AND of course, I can get to know "another world," too!

Like lyrics of "Breakaway," popularised by Kelly Clarkson, " Get on board a fast train.
Travel on a jet plane far away, but I won't forget where I come from."

Just go on my own way...but I don't forget my "roots!"

No comments: