Saturday, August 09, 2008

Olympics!

Four years ago, where were you? What did you do?
I was in a small town in Indiana, U.S.A. and I was curiously watching...the Athens Olympics!! At that time, I had been in America for 9 months, and could barely understand English.
However, I was excited to watch that Japanese athletes got many medals!
It was very interesting for me to hear that Japanese athletes were being praised by "Non-Japanese," I mean, American people.
It was first time for me to watch the Olympics by "objective view."

Also, I learned some practical English usage by watching Olympic games.
When I watched Kosuke Kitajima's winning of two swimming races, a commentator said, "That is a controversial victory." I thought the word "controversial" was too strong to say at the biggest international race. But later, I noticed Americans often used "controversial" even though it was not so disagreeable.

As another example, when I watched a track race, one American famous athlete ( I don't remember his name,) fell down during a race. Of course he couldn't get a medal. Then, an announcer said, "It's a shame." I was surprised because I believed it meant " It's a shameful accident. He should feel ashamed."
However, later, I learned it meant "I am sorry."

Four years later since then, TODAY, I was watching the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics in Tokyo. I also enjoyed watching it in Japanese, I mean, "subjective way" to support my country's athletes. Who is going to win at this Olympics?
The top athletes whom I admire, Ryoko Tani, Kosuke Kitajima, or Mizuki Noguchi, can win this time as well?? I'm really looking forward to "being given" miracle power from them!!

Speaking of " looking forward," I will go back to my hometown, Sapporo, tomorrow.
There is no PC in my parent's house, so I won't write this blog for a week.
Everyone, have a nice summer vacation!
I am "REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO" going away from the HOTTEST summer nights!!

No comments: