Thursday, August 28, 2008

Psychology

I can say, "I teach English to EVERY generations."
My students are from 2-years-old and 76-years-old.
If I'm asked, "Which generation is the hardest to teach?"
I definitely answer..." Kids from three to five years old!!!"

Babies who are younger than three years old are "obedient."
They get tired easily, but mostly, they follow teachers' instructions without thinking.
However, after they turn to three years, they became easily distracted.
Once they become 6 years old, ( I think it depends on a child, though) they start to have the "sense of cooperation." Also, most of them can understand " She is a teacher. This is a class. I should follow what she says."
However, however, for kids who are 3-5 years old, I (a teacher) am still "a woman who can play with kids." Therefore, sometimes I have to "teach" not only English, but also who is their boss in the class.

Especially, two boys in my 4-5 years old class are "real disaster."
In kids' classes, we don't have to cover every material because of the kids' conditions.
Even though so, I have much more difficulties to run the class cause they really do not listen to me!

But today, I found some "psychological principles" from them.
1. "Give and take"
If I allow them to do their favorite activities first, they will follow me after that.
2. " Hug is the best communication"
When we had an earthquake last week, they came to me and threw themselves into my arms. Today, I teach them to say, "Please get the moon for me!" and I lifted them up to get the paper moon." They really loved that.
3. "Nobody wants to hurt people"
They always fool around, kick and punch each other. I completely got mad today, and kept quiet for awhile with anger.
Then, they started to open their student books...

Well, they may be adorable!
I always try to think so after the class. But when the class starts next week, I'm overcome by their disastrous behaviours.

Umm... The "war" has just started! ...I won't lose them!!

1 comment:

Junko Yamauchi, LMFT said...

I thought a hug eases every situation, I still do. But some schools in the U.S. ban hugging on campus. Can you believe it's happening in public schools in America? People are getting too sensitive about touching somebody's body because sometimes it is misunderstood as harassment, which I think overreacting. I try not to touch my daughter's friends except when they are in danger at playgrounds etc.