Saturday, August 02, 2008

Native or Non-native?

If you go to a language school, which teacher do you prefer?
A native speaker, or a non-native speaker??
I thought most people want to learn foreign language from native speakers.
However, sometimes non-native teachers might be better for you.

When I was in the U.S, I took some TOEFL classes. The best TOEFL teacher was actually, a Japanese. It was first time for me to take an English class from a non-native teacher in America, but the Japanese teacher was really good.
Because he had worked hard to take a good score of TOEFL, he knew many strategies.

I took some French classes when I was in the U.S, too, and an American teacher was the best. I also learned it from a native French teacher, but because she "didn't have a hard time to acquire French," her teaching was very fast & not so thoughtful.

Some students of my school also prefer a Japanese teacher. in kids classes, parents want to communicate with teachers, that's why.
In adults classes, some students want a Japanese teacher to explain English grammar in Japanese, or tell how to study English in Japanese.

In the new teacher training, the school principal told us.
"Our students can learn Western culture, perspectives, and proper pronunciation from English native speakers. But we are not Westerners. Therefore, YOU, Japanese teachers who are fluent in English & have international sense, are ROLE MODELS of the students."
Um mm, I see...

By the way, one of my private students, Kaori, a college student, who also preferred a Japanese teacher, said to me when she saw Robert.
"I don't like Americans' OVER cheerfulness! Don't let the DISNEYLAND guy (she is saying about an merry American, Robert!!) be close to me!!"

Kaori... so, why do you learn English???

No comments: