Friday, August 01, 2008

Senior English

Today, I had a new student. His name is Shoichi. His estimated age is 63 years old.
He has been taking private lessons for one year and a half from Jessica, an Austrarian teacher who just came back to her country. New English teacher, Eriot, started to teach him, but Shoichi said now he prefers a Japanese teacher. So, I took a "batton" from Eriot.

Shoichi had said to a manager, " Frankly speaking, I hadn't understood Jessica's lessons. I tried to ask questions, but I couldn't say them in English. I think now I need a Japanese teacher!"

After I started to teach him, I understood what he said. It is important for adults classes to "elicit" English knowledge, but he couldn't do that. Also, he couldn't understand "listening part" almost at all.
He said, " I don't know what to learn English. I always prepare for classes. I read grammar explanation, try to do exercises, and memorize a conversation part. But when I "listen" to the CD, it's too fast to catch up with! Also, my English vocabulary is limited. That's a problem."

He is a very successful businessman. He owns his business, and he is a VIP member of some hotels. Therefore, he can travel around the world. He wants to communicate more with people around the world, and avoid any dangerous situations when he travels with his family. That's why he was motivated to learn English.
"However, I haven't improved at all. I feel like my effort has been in vain."
When he said so, he looked very sad.

I advised him, "Shoichi san, you have strong motivation. That's why you have been working hard. The closest way to improve in English is "never give up," so your motivations is your advantage. What you have done for classes was like, "saving money." You may have hadn't chances to use them, but I can guarantee you have "saved" English knowledge. I will explain the lesson's grammar points before we start new unit, so I hope it made your worry clear. Also, to improve in listening, you should read conversation section "out loud," You need to acquire English muscle to "read loud" sentences again and again. I will teach you how to pronounce. If you pronounce them correctly, you become be able to "listen" to English."

I want to SAVE him! It will take time for him to improve in English, but I want him to feel "Wow! I have improved a lot because I have taken Keiko's classes!"

But...how can I make him feel so?? My weekend plan has been decided...I will go to a major bookstore to find a best book for him!!

No comments: