Tuesday, March 17, 2009

English in primary school

Should English be taught to primary school children?


Many Japanese people say children should learn Japanese, our official language, first, other than English. However, I believe there are many benefits for Japanese to learn English when we are young. Here are the following reasons.


First and foremost, the increase of children's interest for the world. To learn English is to learn the western culture. The English rhyme and vocabulary will make them interested for another culture which is very different from Japan. Especially, meeting a native speaker will be an impressive experience for children. I think those unique learning will make children well-rounded people more.

Secondly, the expansion of children's possibilities to be bilingual.
Kids' listening abilities are excellent. The younger they are, the more they can mimic the original sound. To start learning a foreign language early effects a lot on people. If they will be able to speak fluently in English, they don't hesitate to compete in the international world. To have such people more would be the national treasure.

Thirdly, the reduction of English learning refugees. Many Japanese believe "I'm not good at speaking English at all." I think it's because their bitter memory in junior high. When they started to learn English in junior high, they were forced to cram the grammar matters. If primary school children can learn English, the class will be fun because kids' foreign language classes should have a sense of "game." So, they will get like English!

English is still the international language. Therefore, teaching it to children will be benefit for the future in Japan, domestically and internationally.

Uh... I'm depressed by two things.
One is my weakness of will. I "swore" to write essays for EIKEN everyday, but I can't!
The other is my poor writing. I need a tutor!!

No comments: