Sunday, March 15, 2009

"It" will come

When I was in the U.S, I had been struggling with communicating in English.
However, most of my international friends were learning their "third" languages besides English.
Why? Because speaking English was not so special, so they were trying to have a chance to expand their possibilities by learning their third languages.

In my case, I thought if my hubby transferred to a non-English speaking country, I would be in trouble! At that time, the countries he might transfer were English-speaking ones or French-speaking countries.
Also, I was interested in French culture (of course French fashion brand, too!,) so I started to study French. It was almost three years ago, I suppose... But studying French for me was a long long winding road.

Firstly, I thought I should learn it "in English" because of my English improvement.
However, basically, English books are not explained as well as Japanese books.
I had no idea what they are saying, especially grammar books.

Secondly, I bought French references "in Japanese" when I visited Japan.
It was easier to read them than English ones, but still, I couldn't memorize them at all.

Thirdly, I took classes. Fortunately, there were many language classes by international students in the city where I lived.
The teacher was very enthusiastic French young girl.
But, maybe since she was a native speaker & there were some intermediate students, the teacher run the class very fast.
I attended the class as possible as I could, but I was like a "robot" who just repeated what the teacher said. I couldn't understand at all.

Fourthly, when I took a class from an American girl, I saw a ray of hope.
She was a college student who lived & studied in French. She also had a hard time to improve her French, so she conducted the class slowly.
It was a suitable class for me, like a completely beginner. When I learned from her, I studied French the best in my life.
However, I had to go back to Japan, so I quit the class.

After an interval of one year, I restarted to study French at a circle in my condo.
When I restarted it, I was shocked.
I didn't remember what I learned at all!
I thought it was impossible for me to acquire French...
However, lately, I found a good thing for me.

When I took a model test of the fifth grade (the easiest one) of the French certificate examination, I found myself passed the test.
It is still very hard for me to communicate in French, but from my memory when I was studying French in the U.S, I could have correct answers of the test!

I have been a "refugee" of French studying.
Some of my students are "refugees" of English studying.
However, now, I can say it to them.
"If you don't give up, you'll get something nice! "It" will come soon!!"

No comments: