Friday, February 05, 2010

Dear Examinees

The biggest reason why I don't mention about this blog for my students is...that I may not be able to disclose what I REALLY think. Also, to avoid identifying my students.

Kotaro, 17 year-old my private student, is a rich kid.
When he was a baby, his baby sitter was English. Since he was very little, he has been coming our language school. However, he just...can't get his goals.
Now he is aiming to get the second grade of EIKEN. I've been teaching the special class for him for a year, but his scores have not raised much.
I provided some order-made tests for him, gave a listening book and check how he was doing, and listed up some tips of how he should study for EIKEN.
I try to explain English vocabulary as his familiar world, like J-pop. Sometimes I even sing! I think I told every technique of taking a test, but still...his score is far from getting the second grade.

When he started to take my class, he didn't have any enthusiasm for studying.
Sometimes I scolded him, and he often had the mumps. But recently, he seems to be willing to work hard for EIKEN. His contract will expire this coming April, but he said he wanted to continue my lesson. That makes me more PAINFUL. ...Why don't he improve???

I was at a loss, so I asked help for my head teacher, Taka.
Taka asked me, "have you ever have him written the Mission Statement? The Mission Statement is what are your English goals, in short-tern, middle-term, and long-term. Kotaru can't retain his English knowledge because his goals are very vague. Once he started to study actively, I think he will improve."

I see...yeah, he has been VERY passive!
Taka also showed me his "secret manual" of test-taking teaching trainings, for head teachers. I stayed office until 10:30 pm, and copied all of his manual.
I should make Kotaro pass the second grade of EIKEN!! cause I want to be a RELIABLE professional whatever job I'm engaged to!!

His manual seems very good. There are many test-taking skills I didn't know very much, like scanning, eye-stopping, sight translation, etc, etc.
If I become familiar with those skills, it would be good for Kotaro!! and...MYSELF!!

I'm also the one who has kept failing EIKEN...not second grade, but first grade...
Even my score is always "a little bit short" of passing score, "fail" is "FAIL!!"

On this weekend, I'll read this manual to master test-taking skills!!!

No comments: