Sunday, February 28, 2010

No pain, no gain

Since Wednesday, I've got a cold and I know why I caught it.
1. I've had a chill for a week...it might be still cold outside, but I wanted to wear spring shoes and clothes... I think I've repeated the same mistake since I was very young!
2. One shocking (a little bit) happening occurred to me, so I was disappointed (a bit.)

I've had a medical treatment since last summer.
I was supposed to have my next operation(a VERY casual one!) next week, but it was postponed. I don't want to explain why in this blog, but it made me think a lot how to communicate with my doctor and nurses.
This postponement could be due to my carelessness and the hospital's inflexibility.
It was not a big deal, but I thought I have to think about my passive attitude for my treatment.
I (and maybe other most Japanese patients, too) tend to "leave everything to professionals."
It's OK in some cases, but...in the cases taking a loooong period like this case... I should try to communicate more with the professionals.

Like many of you, I learned a lot from the present winter Olympic athletes, especially, two top female figure skaters, Kim Yu-na and Mao Asada. For example,
1. Kim's one of philosophies is "No pain, no gain."
I was disappointed with my miscommunication with hospital, but I should learn something from it!
2. When Mao cried at the interview after the performance, one announcer said, "This is her strength. She accepted her defeat first, not celebrating the second place. The athletes who can accept their defeat can be strong more and more.
I want to give up when I can't get a good result, but the most important thing is not always the result. To analyze why I can't make it, to cherish my effort for it...there should be many things to learn when I try to do something.
3. Before the competition, Kim said, "who is gonna win? That depends on God's wheel. I don't say I'm ready to win, but I'm ready to accept any result, even if the worst one."
One of my philosophies is the same as her.
"We can do what is humanly possible and leave the rest to fate."
It's easy to SAY so, but I can imagine it's very hard for top athletes to believe so.
I just guess the words tell us why she didn't lose by her pressure, and the many experiences of defeat made her so strong.

...Anyway, since I started to take cold medicine, the awful rush has appeared again on my skin!
In my case, "no medicine, no rush???"
Can I "gain" anything from this "pain," no, "itch??"

No comments: