Saturday, February 13, 2010

Racist?

Some people just misunderstand us. "Us" means...English teachers.
Some people say, "You are an English teacher? So, you don't have to study English!"
...That's totally not true!! English is not our native language (for Japanese English teachers,) so we NEED TO brush up it every day.

I don't trust Japanese English teachers who say, "I don't have to learn English."
They are not hard workers. On the other hand, I respect native English teachers who say, "we don't get ELT(English Language Teaching) degree at university, so we need to learn how to study English!"

Anyway, I'm always looking for a good school or a teacher to improve in my English.
...But as many Japanese English teachers, I don't want to pay much money "to learn English" anymore because I've already paid that in America.

Recently, I've heard a lot about cheap English online schools. At the cheapest schools, the teachers are Filipinos. I thought, "Filipinos! If I get the Philippine accent, I feel sorry for MY students!!"
However, my Toastmaster friend, Yumi said, she had a Skype lesson every night with the Filipinos and it was really good to keep her English.

So, I had a trial lesson tonight.
Actually, the class...didn't work for me. I just...didn't get it. The teacher, a Filipino student, was a really nice girl. But...she was like "me." I mean, an imperfect English teacher who is embarrassed to talk with very-fluent English speakers. I asked her to correct my mistakes in my speech script. Some of her corrections made sense, but I was not sure about the other corrections.
It's very hard to make a rapport by Skpye lesson! Maybe we just didn't connect with, but I still feel, "I PREFER an American, English (I mean, from England), Canadian, or Australian teacher!
I know English is one of the public languages in Philippine...but...
AM I A RACIST???? I hope I ain't!!!

I know the best teacher for me, is Sally. My former tutor in America! She has EVERY certificate of teaching English, and she has an excellent personality. I know I can ask her to teach me by Skype.
But the problem is...I want to pay her by Japanese yen!

...Maybe I will "wander" to seek a way to learn English for while...
How long have I been doing that???

No comments: