Friday, January 30, 2009

The Effect

When Yuki came to my class today, she whispered to me.
"Keiko sensei! I think I passed the writing test of the EIKEN!!"
She is 15 years old, a 9th grade student. She took the second grade of the EIKEN, which level is about those who have just graduated from high schools... So, it means Yuri is three years ahead of common people!

I know, I shouldn't compare them. But I was reminded of my private student, Kota, who was absent my class today.
Kota is one year old than Yuki. His mother is very enthusiastic about letting her son passed the EIKEN. So, she invested a lot of money to Kota... But, he hasn't been working very hard. I know, passing the second grade is difficult for kids of his age. But Yuki hasn't taken my private lessons,) but she has learned from my group lessons more than him.

I have been wondering... The more invest you does, the more your (or your kid's)English will improve??
...I shouldn't say... But the answer is, "it depends on you, whether you are an independent learner or not."
I gave lots of advice to Yuki about EIKEN, but she has studied by herself.
She said, "I should pass it this time. I have already taken the second grade two times before!" Kota have taken the same test twice as well, but he still thinks he has lots of time.

How about kids who are too young to be "independent" learners?
I think it depends on whether the are enjoying the lessons or not.
There are some kids who truly enjoy our lessons, and can use intermediate study materials for adults. They love to communicate with us & be praised a lot.

But still... I think it's expensive for kids' lessons to pay a million yen per week...
(I mean, if they take many classes. Like, one or two group lessons and one private lesson per week.)
But the parents invest the children! And we should show the "profit" or their investment. I mean, "the result."

...Scary!!!"

No comments: