Saturday, January 31, 2009

Lecturer & Communicator

Even though it was raining Saturday, I was on the train to go to Yotsuya this afternoon.
Today, I participated in the workshop of the EIKEN school.

I also teach how to prepare for the EIKEN, but still, I believe self study is the "royal road" to pass any tests.
However, the reason I went to the school today was...I wanted to learn from the lecturer, how to teach the EIKEN.

The lecturer is a middle-aged guy. He is in his 50's? or might be 60's.
I know I can't criticize him because I am an inexperienced teacher.
However, for my future learning, let me tell you what I learned from him.

His advantages; a nice character, and enough experiences of the EIKEN.
Amazingly, he has passed the first grade of the EIKEN for 26 times!
Of course he took the last EIKEN, as well as us...
He said his field was not English, but he made it because of his hard working.
He was so humble that he was good at encouraging us.

His disadvantages; not using a white board a lot. He mentioned many vocabulary.
They were not easy ones, but he didn't show us the spellings. In my opinion, teachers shouldn't be reluctant to use the white board. As well as vocabulary, it was very hard to know which reading part he was mentioning.
Also, he tried to "interview" us how we felt about the last test.
It was nice, but he just left a talkative woman speaking. She even talked why she started to study English! He asked some people to talk including me, but I think he should have interviewed all students. If he had conducted well the class, he could have done that!

After all, I can say, "He is a good lecturer, but not a great communicator."
Teachers should put in the students' shoes. We have to give them advice & information, but also, we should think about the students' conditions.
What do they want to listen the most? Is it too easy for them? or too difficult?
Aren't they overwhelming? or needing challenging ones? Aren't they tired? or should I inspire them more?
We have to look at their eyes, try to catch their non-verbal language, and read between lines to provide the best service.
If we try it hard, students will catch our passion, and try to give us back their passion.

...But you know, the most important thing is "Am I eligible to teach them? or not."
Now I'm far from getting the first grade of EIKEN, so I can't be impudent!!

No comments: