Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sick days, seven nights

Have you ever watched the movie, "Six days, seven nights?"
I like it!

...I have also needed to be rescued for seven nights. I have been sick!
From the next day my birthday, I had had nausea, strong headache, and a stiff neck.
It was very hard for me to stand and walk because once I stood up, I was about to vomit.
My hubby was worried if I had a cerebral infarction. We visited the ER of our nearest hospital. I had a CAT scan taken. Fortunately, I didn't have it.
My mother expected I might be pregnant. Unfortunately, I wasn't. It was embarrassing!!

Anyway, the doctor said "maybe" I had a stomach cold, and the stiff neck "may" have come from the flu that I had at the end of year.
What I could do was just lying in the bed and waiting the time passed...
But the hardest thing was I couldn't eat other than small amount of rice porridge!!
People can get power from various food...especially, me!!

And I had to work. Correction; I wanted to work!
Since it was the beginning of the year, we had many visitors who decided, " I'm going to be able to speak English this year!!"
I had to provide trial lessons for them.

I exchanged e-mails to my co-workers. They said, "We want you to take a rest, but it would be VERY helpful if you can come. The most importantly, YOUR STUDENTS want to see you!!"
....They know how to control me!!

Eventually, I wasn't absent my work because I've decided "I won't miss my classes unless I got sick which is contagious."
Maybe that's just self-satisfaction... But seriously, some students need lessons for important tests!

I went to my school, vomiting a few times during commuting. Because I didn't eat, sometimes I was dizzy. But no students noticed my sickness!
As a result, I got a pair of my new students.
They are a mother and a son. The mother said, "Would you please be my private teacher? I'd like to take your classes!"
That is one of the most fantastic moments as a teacher !

On Thursday night, after I finished all of my classes, my co-workers got together and applauded to me.
They said, "Thank you very much for your hard work! And....happy birthday!!"
Then, they gave me a bouquet, birthday cards, and some presents!!

Just before that, what I thought was "how to get home without vomiting."
However, the nice surprise swept my nausea away.
That day, I could get home without vomiting!!

People say, "Take care of yourself! Get a rest!" when we are sick.
This time, I really pondered whether I went to work or called in sick.
It's very difficult to know when we should bear up or take it easy!!
But at least this time, I thought going work "forced" me to recover the sick.
Meeting people & having conversations were good remedies for me! ( I guess...)

Now I can eat anything & keep talking for ages.
Friends, I'm looking forward to seeing you soon!!


...By the way, my resolutions in 2009 were about improving my English.
However, now I think, that should be "fitting!!"
I should exercise to stay healthy! even though I am not sure I can keep the resolution, already...

No comments: