Sunday, June 22, 2008

Choice

When I was a college student, my major was English literature. My major seminar's professor was an eminent researcher of T.S. Eliot and John Dann. I was not a good student, so I don't remember their poems... But one thing...I always remind of what the professor said often. He said, " You are making CHOICES everyday, like what you eat lunch, which book you would buy, etc. Sometimes it would be a big one, like which one you will get married, or what job you aim... Regardless it's small or big, your choices are making your life and yourself. Why did you pick that one? The reason is based on your philosophy. Your philosophy can be made by reading great literature." In my opinion, our philosophy can be made not only literature, but also any information we get, people you love, what you learned from your experiences...etc, etc.

When we make a big decision, sometimes we can't "choose."
What should we do in these situations?
1) You can't decide the one because you want to chose "both."
2) You want to chose "A," but situation doesn't allow you to choose "A."

I have experienced both situations. In those cases, I just decide "let it be." Sometimes we have to face "uncontrollable" situations. I may feel "invisible power" is working... I always say to my self the Japanese expression, "We can do what is humanly possible and leave the rest to fate."(人事を尽くして天命を待つ。)

Also, lately I have been strongly conscious of this. " I am choosing something everyday, but I also AM CHOSEN or NOT CHOSEN." as an employee, a partner, a friend, a nice co-worker, etc, etc.

We can't get everything what we want in our lives. So...what do you choose?
Are you eligible to be chosen by someone you like?
Life is the series of choices.

2 comments:

Junko Yamauchi, LMFT said...

That "invisible power" is what Christian people call God. I believe God leads me to make choices. Your decision not to choose something is also your choice, you know. Just a thought....

keiko said...

Junko chan,

Sorry it takes long time to write back to your comment!
I forgot to write about "religious" side. I am sure the effects of faith are really important when people choose something. I think religious people have strong "cores" because of their faith.