Sunday, June 29, 2008

Family

This week, my parents (living in Sapporo, a northern city)and my parents-in-law (living near Nagoya, a western? part of Japan)had a trip together and this was not the first time for them. My father doesn't drive, so usually, my father-in-law drives for everybody. On the other hand, my mother-in-law visits Sapporo a few times a year. At that time, my parents (and sometimes my aunt also) entertain her.

When I decided to get married with my hubby, my parents were a little bit worried because my hubby was from western part of Japan. My home island, Hokkaido, is a kind of "new" area in Japan, so northern people are not so traditional. The culture is different from the "mother island" of Japan, so my parents were worried we might have some "gaps" in the future.

But eventually...nothing has to be worried! (maybe, I guess.) My parents-in-laws are really generous, warm-hearted people, so my parents' "worry" disappeared soon.They visited each other's home, traveled together (sometimes we accompany, but sometimes they go out alone), and send their hometown's specialities, etc, etc.
I have been happy to be with my hubby, but this great relationship among our parents has made me happier.

When I was single, I thought marriage's advantage was "to get a great partner."
However, after I got married, I noticed another advantage. That was "To make my family double!" I had great parents, a sibling, and relatives. But after the marriage, I got another great parents, sibling, and relatives(on my hubby's side) too!!

When we were in the U.S, two of our family members found cancerous tumors in their bodies. (God! Now they are OK!!) However, our families ( I include my family-in-laws) helped each other. That's why we could stay in America.

I know how marriage is wonderful (oh, I know it could be cruel, but in my case..,) so whenever I meet newlyweds through my wedding emcee job, I can say "CONGRATULATIONS!!!" from the bottom of my heart.

...Also, I should say...the reason I wrote this article is not because my father-in-law always read my blog!!!

4 comments:

Chiung-Ya said...

It is very nice to see how your family and in-laws get together very well. It really a joy when two sides of your family can enjoy life with each other.

keiko said...

Thanks, Chuing-Ya!!

I understand you and Alex may have more difficulties to make families get together because both of you are from different countries.
But I believer your wonderful personality TIES them firmly!!

Anonymous said...

When I went to Aeon, I wrote an essay, “What is the role of your family in your life”
At that time, I started studying English, so I couldn’t write well. Now, I’ll take a shot at it!


Now, my family is my husband and my little son ( Tap ). Well, I can’t imagine my life without them. My husband and me, we are very different. He is very mild, and I have a short temper. But as they say “opposites attract”. His perspectives, attitudes and different way of thinking enrich my life. When I talk with him, sometimes I learn about my self. And through raising up Tap, I realize the importance of my parent.


My parent lives in Ibaraki pref. To tell you the truth, when I was young, in junior high and senior high, I didn’t keep good relationship with them. After going to a University in Tokyo, we lived far apart. We didn’t keep in touch and get together regularly. In my twenties, I met them few times a year. However, they always supported me, encouraged me and challenged me. They trusted me no matter what.


After getting married, I have another parent. Yes! Parents-in-low. They are very diligent, generous and warmhearted. And through my husband, I feel I’m sharing my life with them. I think both parents are the most precious person in my life.


I rarely tell them how much they mean to me, but I think they know. And I only hope I’m playing a similar role in my son’s life, too.

Yuko Kinoshita

keiko said...

Yuko chan,

Wow! Thank you for writing a wonderful essay! I understand how your whole family is important to you. Well, for the most people, family members are the the most important because we are "related."
Sometimes my hubby says to me, "Oh! We are not related to? (He means, "blood relation") I didn't know that!!"