Saturday, June 28, 2008

New Soul

Just one and a half hour ago, a news program introduced a French singer. She was unknown, lived in a small apartment in Paris, but she wrote one song which became a big hit in the world. The singer is Yael Naim, and the song is "New Soul."
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=-YUxbDEPFiM&feature=related

If you listen to this song, you will say, "Oh! I know this song!" Especially in Japan, this song has been used a commercial song (of a car company? I forgot...)on TV.
When she started to sing this song, my eyes were caught by the lyrics. (They have captions.) Here is a part of the lyrics.

I'm a new soul came to this strange world
Hoping I could learn a bit about how to give and take.
But since I came here
Felt the joy and the fear
Finding myself making every possible mistake

I'm a young soul in this very strange world
Hoping I could learn a bit about what is true and fake.
But why all this hate?
Try to communicate
Finding trust and love is not always easy to make.

This is a happy end
Cause' you don't understand everything you have done
Why is everything so wrong

This is a happy end
Come and give me your hand
I'll take your far away.

When I started to live in the U.S, I felt almost the same way. After I came back to Japan, I felt this kind of feeling again. When one's circumstances changes, we tend to think in this way? Or, even people who live in the same place for a long time may think the same because the life is changing all the time.
I think it was talented of her to describe the "essential" feelings.

I don't want to be afraid of being "a new soul." If we keep challenging, we can still be "a young soul," I guess...

What I learned in the U.S. most was "people are the same regardless their age, cultural differences, sex, religion, and so on." Of course we have many "variations," but the principle is "Do others as you would have them do to you."
When I found myself feeling the same way as my friend who was from another country, I was glad to find our "common part." Today, I was remind of the feeling. When I noticed the lyrics, I was surprised how same as I felt (of course I couldn't write lyrics, though.) And I LOVE to feel this.
How we can share this lovely feeling??

To study English!!! Because English is the international language!! (New Soul is written in English, too!)




3 comments:

Junko Yamauchi, LMFT said...

This song was used for MacBook Air commercial. When I first heard it, I thought it was made for this particular commercial but it was not. Hats off to Apple PR people!

keiko said...

Oh, really?
So maybe, I saw the same commercial?? I don't remember...
Anyway, the music is also catchy.
Right, Kudos to Apple PR!!

Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with English, but have a look at Esperanto. It is a planned language which belongs to no one country or group of states. Take a look at www.esperanto.net

There's plenty of delightful music of all genres in Esperanto too!