Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Baby English

Since I started teaching English one year and eight month ago, I've noticed a thing about teaching babies( less than 3 year olds.)
"How much the babies can improve their English depends on how much I talk to them, praise them, make eye contact with them, and even call their names."

Today, I had a prospective student, who is 15 month old.
I had a trial lesson with her (& her mom!) Of course the baby didn't talk any English.
However, almost 8 months later or so, I'm sure she can greet me in English, repeat my English(of course short words, ) and sing some songs in English!

Even the babied haven't talked any words for...like about 8 months, they've LISTENED to me with full attention if I talk to them directly, with clear gesture & smile. I always praise them even though they don't talk anything. Then, suddenly, they start to talk!
"The day" is really amazing. Also, I'm always surprised how they've listened to me precisely. Also, I give them much overreaction, widing my eyes and making exaggerated gestures when they speak to me in English. Then, they seem try to make me excited more, so they speak more in English!

Giving full attention to every babies in class, praising them all the time, making overreaction, changing voice pitch depends on characters... Teaching kids (babies) is EXTREMELY tiring.
However, the babies (kids as well, of course!), trying to surprise me in speaking English, are EXTRAORDINARY cute!
I'm far from perfect as a person and a teacher, but as long as the kids (babies) enjoy my classes, I try to keep HIGHER energy than them!

No comments: