Friday, January 15, 2010

Socialize? or Seclude?

In the evening, during work, our manager Rie, talked to me.
"Keiko sensei! Toshi is visiting Japan right now! He is coming here tonight. Let's go for a drink!"

In 5 seconds, many reasons I wanted to avoid it came to my mind.
...My hubby just finished hard job today, so I want to comfort him...
...Today, my "girl day" has just started, so my condition is not very good...
...There are just 10 days until EIKEN, I need to prepare for it...
...Oh! I also need to practice for my next speech!...

But after 5 seconds, I made an instant smile & said.
"Sure! Why not!?"

Toshi was our head teacher, but transferred to a recruiting office in L.A last summer.
We heard he would visit Japan time to time for work, but it was great to welcome him so soon! I was looking forward to talking with him.

...However, my anxiety became reality.
Our lessons were over at 9:00pm. We chatted with students for awhile, current stuff members were working overtime, then, other students who got text message, "Toshi is visiting school!" came to school...

The time we actually "went for a drink" was almost 11:00pm!
Other members were OK, cause they live near school. But me... I always had to check time not to miss the last train.

I know it is better to spend time with my co-workers after work sometimes.
We can get to know each other, and I also can get much information.
But...If the invitation is without a notice, deciding "whether accept it or not" and "when I can leave" are...difficult, aren't they!???

Around 12:00am, I said, "Wow, I got to run! I'll miss my train! See ya!!" and was leaving.
Toshi said to me, "Keiko, I'll visit Japan again TWO MONTHS later! See you then!!"

...Oh. So soon???

No comments: