Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Time is NOW

On February 16th, I will be a contestant of the In-House Speech Contest at the Toastmasters.
My speech has to be humorous & inspiring. What should I talk about?
Since I raised my hand as a contestant, my mind has decided the theme.

The title is "Get out of your comfort zone!" and I will be speaking about my days in America, when I tried to do the title says.

Recently, I've recalled my days in America. I lived there for four years and four months. The city I lived was very small, and I barely spoke English... However, I think the days were the time I grew the most. Why? because I always tried to "get out of my comfort zone." I tried to shift my active zone, from comfortable one to challenging one. From English language school → DJ school ( I just visited, though)→ college classes → Toastmasters. Whenever I went to the "new challenging zone" for the first time, I felt VERY awkward and thought it was not my place. But I kept going the place, then, gradually, I noticed the "uncomfortable zone" became "my comfortable zone." Then, I shifted my focus to another "challenging zone..."
My transitions were not so smooth. Basically, I'm VERY clumsy & not a clever girl, so I remembered TONS of funny stories related the transitions.

Today, I read my old articles of this blog. I started to keep this blog in August, 2006.
Three and a half years ago! I kept my blog more precisely than right now.
Therefore, the old articles gave me many hints for the next speech!
I felt...I'm NEVER run out of self-deprecating humorous stories because of my clumsiness!!

Well, at any rate, the old articles made me reminisce. Getting out of my comfort zone? Seek new challenging field? Am I doing that right now? The situations are totally different between that time and now, but I want to be the one who always think, "Yes, the time is NOW!!!"

...And one more point... my English was BETTER at that time than right now.
I know because I had a perfect tutor, Sally, proofread my articles.
The Time is NOW! ...to find a new tutor?? Probably...

No comments: