Thursday, January 07, 2010

Circumstances

FINALLY, my classes in 2010 started today!
My private student at 8:00pm class canceled it today, so I enjoyed chatting with Tricia, who are a new American teacher.

She said, "A few days ago, when I was cleaning my room, I flipped over my Futon. Then, I found MOLD under the Futon!! I washed it and tried to wipe them out, but I couldn't remove them completely. When I told my American friends about it, they said, "Oh, no!" in unison. I told them to check under their Futon, so all of them found mold there!!! I want to get a something like a stand, which raises me up under Futon. If I can get it, the problem will be solved, hopefully. It's impossible to fold Futon often!! I was surprised how humid Tokyo is!! It's winter! What it will be in summer or rainy season!?? I'm scared!! I think I have to find the "stand" soon!!"

"...Hey, Tricia, it's not the matter of "getting a stand or not." It's the matter of daily custom!!!" You SHOULD fold you futon and put them away everyday! That's the way of Japanese living!!!"
...These words were stuck under my throat. I couldn't say them to her because she just said, "It's IMPOSSIBLE to fold Futon often!!"

I can't criticize her. She is an organized person, not lazy. However, just circumstances between us are different!
When I lived in America, I remember my hubby and I, and other Japanese people, tried to change the American living style in house to Japanese one.
We changed incandescent lamps to fluorescent light. American bath tubs are shallow, so my friend changed her bath tub to a deep one.

Differences of circumstances! I'm so sorry for her! But at the same time, actually I enjoy listening to those stories. Welcome to Japan!!!!!

No comments: