Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Job Only "I" Can Do

One day, my friend asked me, "Have you ever been running out of a topic for your blog? I think it's hard to find a topic for the day!"

...Actually, I have NEVER run out of my topic! Even if I stay home all day long, I can find several topics. From TV, newspaper, magazine, my memory, my determination...and so on. Before I go to the bed, I write the most impressive one for the day.

Today, I found the first topic at 10:00am. At 16:oopm, I got the second one. At 19:30, the third one...and at 22:00, one person's story hit my heart. That's gonna be today's topic!

Her name is Chieko Asakawa. http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/people/chie/index_e.htm

She is a researcher at IBM. She is only Japanese who got the "fellow" title from IBM headquarters! It means she is THE BEST Japanese reseachers at IBM. But she is handicapped. She is blind.

Since she was 14 years old, she has lost her sight because of the accident. She couldn't go to regular high school. She became reclusive, and didn't go out for a month. That was her first setback. She entered a school for the blind, and learned Braille. She started to enjoy studying, especially, English. She wanted to be an interpreter, but the handicap "can read only Braille" prevented her to become an professional.

She wanted to get "the job only "she" can do." She applied for a computer training class. IBM hired her for a "temporary" project of making software for blind people, then she noticed..."That is exactly "THE JOB ONLY I CAN DO!!"

She has been working for innovating software making blind people enjoy the Internet. Now, many people in the world are interested of her job!!

I watched her TV program by NHK. She was very friendly, and has a sense of humor. She has many friends, and even has a beautiful high-teenage daughter!!!

But she works really hard. She always gets home around 12:00am, and after that, she starts an Internet-meeting with her colleagues in America.
Why has she been working so hard? She said, "I feel like...if I stop running, every chance leaves from me. I'm handicapped, so I had to give up what I really wanted. But now, finally, I got a chance. Why don't I try it?"

I definitely agree with what she said... Once you stop, it's hard to step forward!!

...Like lazy me....

No comments: