Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pursuit of Beauty

Here is my next speech at the upcoming meeting of the Toastmasters.
...I need to revise some!

Good evening, fellow Toastmasters and guests. First of all, I have a confession to make. I’ve got something fake on my face. …And that is not only one. They are…eyelashes.

As I want to make them longer and impressive, I go to an eyelash saloon every three weeks and get extension. I want to make an effort to look better, but because I tend to do the effort desperately, sometimes I feel like, “what am I doing?” I’m going to tell you some of my nonfiction stories when I feel, “what am I doing???”

On my day offs, I enjoy having fake nails. I can attach them to my natural nails with stickers easily, but they also separate easily. One day, I rushed into attaching the nails at home and went out to see my friends.

However, when I tried to take a commuter pass into my purse, I lost one nail. On the train, when I took a book out of my purse, another one came off. When I checked my hair, another one also separated. I wanted to look perfect that day, but the mixture of fake nails and natural nails was very mismatch. I needed stickers, but I left them at home. Although I was almost late for the appointment, I rushed into a convenience store and bought the scotch tape which can stick both sides. Having attached dropped nails with the cheap scotch tape in a restroom, I said to myself, “well…what am I doing!?”

After I got home, I showed off the fake nails to my husband. “Look at them!” I meant, “Aren’t they beautiful?” But my husband shouted and almost tried to escape from me, saying, ”OK, I don’t know what I did to you, but I AM SORRY! Please take them out!!” …He thought I would use the long nails as weapons to scratch him.

I love not only fake nails, but also fake eyelashes. I go to an eyelash saloon to maintain extended eyelashes. However, the extended parts come off easily, so sometimes I use the fake eyelashes to make my eyes impressive.

One day, I was working hard, having fake eyelashes on. I had five classes in a row to teach. During teaching, I felt something weird on my eyelids, but I didn’t have time to see a mirror. After lessons, I realized. My fake eyelashes were about to come off! I was like…excuse me! (try to separate half of the fake eyelashes, watching a mirror) I looked like this.

On the day, the last class was a private lesson for a 9-year-old girl, Akari. She is very clever, but very quiet. As usual, I tried hard to cheer her up. “Hey, Akari! Jump to the card on what I say! …Burned my finger! Jump! Right! Next…Sprained my ankle! Jump! Correct! Fantastic! Good job!”(As I jump, the separated fake eyelashes swing on my eyelid) During the class, I know Akari looked at me weirdly, but I didn’t realize what was happening. Of course I felt, “what am I doing!?”

I also love to shop clothes. Do you know an American select shop, “kitson?” When the shop in Harajuku opened, I am one of the girls who waited in a line to enter the opening sale. I got this sweater there. A black sweater with spangles! (show the one to everybody) This one represents exactly a trend in this fall and winter! Hmm…”How do I look?” ( change the clothes) I talked to my husband at home. But he looked at me with a puzzled stare. He said, “Ah…are you appearing a cheesy Karaoke show or something? You look like a local contestant to me… Oh, never mind!”

Some people say, “women try to look better to make guys attracted.” However, at least in my case…fake nails, fake eyelashes, and trendy clothes…I fail to make them attracted. But I can’t stop pursuing what I think “cawaii!” because I just love doing that.

Yesterday, I looked our photo albums with my husband. I said, “Is this me!? Ah, I don’t think I’m photogenic. I always look WORSE in a photo!” My husband looked the photo carefully, “Oh, I think, you look BETTER in a photo than actual yourself… Never mind!”
Madam Toastmaster.




No comments: