Sunday, January 17, 2010

Buiding up your Vocabulary

How do you build up your vocabulary?
In may case, there are three versions depends on how much time I have.

1.Intensive version.
Use word cards fully. I write the word's explanation on the front of the word card, and on the back side, write the sentence using the vocabulary, and make the vocab bold.

2. Medium version
Use a vocabulary notebook. I always put a thick notebook on my side. When I hear unfamiliar word which I want to acquire, I write the word, and the explanation on the notebook, casually.

3. Quick version
Use only dictionary. I look the word up by the dictionary, repeat the word... That's it!

This morning, I took a "vocabulary class for EIKEN first grade" by Skype.
The teacher gave us the vocabulary list. The words are "likely" appear on EIKEN. He told us to memorize every word on the list..there are 1,300!!!

The first quiz of the EIKEN is a vocabulary quiz. There are 25 questions, in the case of first grade. We have to choose the most suitable word for the sentence, which has a blank. For example, refute, rebuke,deter, relinquish, defer... There are many "confusing" words!!!

I have tried to take the "intense" version to memorize. However, 1,300 words to 1,300 word cards!!! I found it's almost impossible...
Then, I decided to take the mixed version of "medium" and "quick" version.
I mean, write the translation under the sentence, and "dictate" many times!
I hope I'm on the right truck...

By the way, at the end of the "intense" Skype class, the teacher encouraged us.
"Good job! If you REALLY work hard to acquire those vocabulary, I guarantee you can get at least 15 on the vocabulary quiz!!"

...Wait a minute!!! Only 15 out of 1,300!!!???
Now I wonder I'm on the right truck or not...

No comments: